Q. I would like to know whether the spot on my body is mole or melanoma?

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

I have attached a picture. I would like to know what is this spot?

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

Dermatology Venereology
#

I have seen the photo attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like an insect bite reaction or bruise.

How long have you been having it? Are there any other sites involved? Is there any pain or itch associated? Are you on any medications currently for any condition? Any history of eczema or psoriasis? Any bleeding from the lesion?

Kindly revert back for a definitive diagnosis.

You can apply Fusibet cream (Fusidic acid + Betamethasone) for application morning and night for seven days, Dermadew Aloe lotion for application in the afternoon, tablet Cetirizine 10 mg once daily in the night for five days (if itching present).

Kindly revert back with answers for specific treatment.

| 

I do not know how long it is present. No other sites involved. No history of eczema or psoriasis.

Is it a mole or melanoma?

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

Dermatology Venereology
#

From the picture sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it does not look like a mole or melanoma.

You can follow these medications, the topical medication for two weeks, and tablet Cetirizine if itching present. You can also take a short course of oral antibiotics to reduce the inflammation. Take Cefadroxil 500 mg twice daily for five days provided you have no prior allergy.

If the lesion does not subside after two weeks, you can meet a local dermatologist for a local examination under dermatoscopy (hand microscope) to study morphology.

| 

How you know it is not melanoma?

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

Dermatology Venereology
#

Melanomas are usually characterized by a widely irregular border, a change of color (over a period of time), change in shape and size (over a period of time), oozing from the lesion, itchiness, pain (rare), and skin breakdown in the area.

Other risk factors include a positive family history of skin cancer and being prone to develop multiple moles over the same time frame.

However, the only confirmatory test to determine malignant potency is a biopsy from the lesion to be sent for testing. You can be advised to do that if it does not regress with this treatment, and also after a dermatoscopy examination.

| 

But what do you think according to the photos? Could this look like melanoma? Please explain.

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

Dermatology Venereology
#

Please do not panic. From the pictures sent, it does not look like melanoma and also you have a negative history to all other features and if present earlier, you would have seen it earlier.

Be positive and take the treatment and review after two weeks and if not subsided you can get excision biopsy done for the lesion.

|