Q. After a deep filling in upper molar, my husband has got swelling and pain in gums. Please help.

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

My husband had a deep filling in his upper second to last molar (left side). About several hours later, he started having discomfort and taking Tylenol and Ibuprofen interchangeably. Now, it has been the second day with severe pain and his cheek is swollen. And the gum over the tooth is in pain but not swollen, and it is a throbbing type of pain. We have no access to the dentist. Please help.

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentistry Endodontist
#

In this condition the tooth should not be filled and instead, root canal should be done. As the filling was near the pulp, pulpal irritation is causing the pain.

Take tablet Amoxiclav (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) 625 mg one tablet twice daily for five days, Zerodol SP (Aceclofenac, Paracetamol, and Serratiopeptidase) one tablet twice daily for five days, capsule Pan D (Pantoprazole) twice daily before meals for five days, Betadine mouthwash gargle in lukewarm water. If nothing is available right now warm saline gargle will also help for the time being.

Take the medication, your husband would be relieved. Do not worry, but I will advise to get the filling out by your local dentist. And your husband needs a root canal. Kindly upload an image of the tooth along with the affected area.

Treatment was not done properly. Should have gone with a root canal.

Removal of filling and root canal procedure.

Upload an image and x-ray available. Your husband will be fine once he gets the medication. But as you both are travelling even warm saline gargle two or three times will help.

|