Q. Why is my period getting late?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 12, 2021

Last month, I had unprotected intercourse with my partner and soon after which I took an ECP. Then, 10 to 12 days later I got my period. However, this month they are late by 13 days. But, I am getting lower abdomen cramps. Why is this happening? Could you suggest any medicine?

#

• When you take ECP (emergency contraceptive pill), you are taking hormonal pills, which can interfere with your body's hormonal cycle that is responsible for your normal menstrual cycle.
  • Due to this disturbed cycle, you can have irregular cycle for once or twice and it will get corrected on its own after that. If not corrected, then you can take some hormonal contraceptive pills for a month and try to regularize your cycle.
  • There are many other things apart from this can also be responsible for irregular menses. They are like increased weight, thyroid problem and PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). So, it is better to wait for some time to know the reason.
  • Also, you can do a urine pregnancy test. If that is negative, then as I said you can wait. Because, it is due to hormonal imbalance and most probably due to ECP.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Could you please suggest some medicine with less or no side effects to get period?

#

• As I said, if you have any doubt or you had sex in this month, then do a urine pregnancy test first. If the test is positive, then it is a different matter and do a sonography to confirm.
  • If the test is negative, then I suggest tablet Primolut-N (Norethisterone) 5 mg two times a day for five days. After completing the course you will get your period within eight days.
  • If you do not get your period after tablet, then you are going to need to do some investigations. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the treatment with consent.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|