Q. Is it possible to halt or postpone my periods temporarily?

Dr. Shalaka Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on May 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am a 21 year old female, and I have an upcoming event in which I have to perform. Unfortunately, my expected menstruations date is also on the same day. If I get my menstruation on the same day, I will not be able to perform at all. I have heard about temporarily halting your period and postponing it. Is it safe to do so? If yes, what medicine do I need to take to stop my menstruation temporarily?

#

• I need to know when was your last period and during which days you do not want the period this month. Also, how are your periods and its average length? After this information, I would be able to suggest medicine.

Revert with more information to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for replying. My menstrual cycle is generally of 25 to 30 days. This month, my period is already due, so I will be getting them anytime this week. Coincidentally, I have my event also starting from this week, during which I do not want my periods to come. Generally, my period lasts for six days, of which the first three days I have a heavy flow, and from the fourth day, it reduces substantially.

#

• It would have been better if you had consulted little early. Still, we will try our level best.
  • I suggest tablet Primolut N (Norethisterone) 5 mg twice a day from this week daily without missing any dose. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicine after their consent. Hope it works for you.
  • For heavy periods, you can take tablet Texakind MF or Tranexa MF (Tranexamic acid and Mefenamic acid), three times a day for three days from the first day of your period.

Take care. All the best for your event.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|