iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDentistrydental cariesHow to treat the infected tooth present with pain?

How to manage the painful infected tooth?

How to manage the painful infected tooth?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At September 28, 2017
Reviewed AtDecember 6, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I have a lot of pain on my right side upper and lower jaw. I have a wisdom tooth on the upper jaw. Before two days, the tooth directly below the wisdom tooth got broken, and it is causing pain. I am scared of going to the dentist. What can I do now? Please help me.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have an infection in the pulp in the lower right last tooth. It has caries, and there is an inflamed tissue present around it. In the case of partially erupting upper tooth, you can also feel pain in the ears. You have to visit a dentist without fear because dental procedures are never fatal. The doctor will use local anesthesia so you will not feel pain during treatment procedures.

You can do either root canal treatment or extraction of the tooth. Both the procedure is always done under local anesthesia as it involves multiple appointments. For pain, you can take tablet Augmentin 625 mg (Amoxycillin and Clavulanic acid) twice a day for three days. Take tablet Aceclofenac 200 mg two times a day.

The Probable causes

Investigations to be done

Differential diagnosis

Probable diagnosis

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy