iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDentistrydental cariesI have tooth pain due to broken teeth and cavities. Please help.

What can be done for tooth pain due to broken teeth and cavities?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At October 24, 2018
Reviewed AtDecember 15, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

What can I do for really bad pain from broken teeth, and cavities that need root canals. I am going to a dentist but what can I do in the meantime?


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Your chief complaint suggests broken tooth due to a carious activity which is brought by bacteria. The pain in the tooth is due to caries.

The Probable causes

1.Lack of brushing habits. 2.Trying to break hard objects with teeth leading to break down. 3.Lack of mouth rinsing after taking food, drinks, and drugs.

Investigations to be done


Differential diagnosis

1.Reversible pulpitis.
2.Acute periodontitis.

Probable diagnosis

Irreversible pulpitis.

Treatment plan

1.Tablet Ordent (Ofloxacin 200 mg and Ornidazole 500 mg) BD-twice daily for five days. 2.Tablet Ketorolac 10 mg SOS. 3.However, these are symptomatic measures. You need to address your problem fully.

Preventive measures

1.Tooth brushing daily twice and at least before sleep. 2.Avoid breaking hard objects with teeth. 3.Try Fluoride toothpaste at least once after three months.

Regarding follow up

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar
Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

dental carieschipped tooth

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy