Q. After my recent filling, I am getting pain whenever I bite. Why?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 31, 2021

Recently, I got a new filling (white), and the dentist removed my old silver ones. Now, my tooth is sensitive, and I feel like air going up and down on the tooth. I am getting pain whenever I bite down. Why? What is wrong here?

#

• There will be definitely some sensitivity felt after the replacement of old silver fillings to new tooth colored ones.
  • There is a micro shrinkage that happens after the white material is placed into the old and refined cavity. This is the physics behind your sensitivity.
  • Using anti-sensitivity toothpaste like Sensodyne total repair or applying anti-sensitivity gel by the dentist can reduce the problem to a greater extent.
  • The pain that you feel while biting is because the height of the filling is slightly in excess. It has to be corrected by the dentist to get a normal bite, and it helps you get rid of the pain.
  • Hence, I advise you to visit your dentist and get these two things done as a follow-up. Take care.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|