Q. How can I remove floss stuck underneath permanent retainer?

Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Mar 23, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 30, 2019

I have floss stuck underneath my permanent retainer (had retainer for almost five years now) on my lower jaw. There is no pain, but I would like to find out how to remove the floss.

#

Hey,

For removal of the floss, you can use a tweezer. Another option is to try the superfine interdental brush, like Stim proxa and if it is not working out, then go to a local dentist. Do not try to mess with it much as this can cause a problem with your retainers. You do not have pain or bleeding of gums, so, it is not much of an emergency. But, still, you can do lukewarm water with salt gargling.

If you can send a picture of the stuck floss, I can guide you much better. Take care.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

I need a second opinion about my orthodontic treatment.

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently having Damon braces for almost a year. I have attached a picture. What do you think about my teeth position, especially, my canine? I think it looks weird. What should be done by my dentist to make it look right?  Read Full »

Is chewing toothpicks bad for you?

Query: Hello doctor, Are birchwood toothpicks hard enough to cause damage to tooth enamel? Do they cause damage to the teeth in any way? I have pored over the internet for the answer to this question, with many dentists recommending that toothpicks should not be used or chewed on, or saying that it can cau...  Read Full »

I have not brushed as regularly as you should. How to stop tooth from hurting?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 18 years old and due to many personal reasons, I have not brushed my teeth regularly as you should, I might have brushed 10 times in the last two years. I cannot see a dentist due to my situation but I want to change my life now that I am older. My top left molar hurts a little whe...  Read Full »