Q. Is it normal to feel pain in the gums after having implants?

Dr. Nupur Prashant Shah
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 16, 2020

Eight days ago, I had four dental implants placed in the lower jaw. Is it normal to have pain on the sides of the gums where I got implants?

#

I can understand your concern regarding dental health.

• The presence of pain for 10 to 15 days after implant is a normal one.
  • It might also be due to some infections like plaque or food lodgement or due to some pathological changes in bone.
  • So, you should consult your nearby dentist to rule out the reason of pain by clinical examination of the affected area.
  • Meanwhile, you can take painkillers like Ibuprofen (if no allergy) 600 mg 8 hourly. If swelling occurs, you can subside it by ice application.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

Why is there swelling of gums near the extraction site?

Query: Hello doctor, Four days ago, I had surgery to remove four impacted wisdom teeth and one molar extraction. Yesterday, I began to develop swelling of the gums near the bottom right incision. Today it has grown up into a bubble covering the top of my back molar. One quarter of the molar is covered by ...  Read Full »

What is the procedure for dental implants in place of fixed prosthesis?

Query: Hello doctor,I lost my upper incisor after a childhood injury which later on was replaced by a dental bridge by a dentist who damaged my three healthy teeth to fix the bridge. It has been 15 years now and I want to go for implants. So, I have questions about what would be the whole approach? My brid...  Read Full »

Why is my dental implant getting reinfected often?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my tooth removed and a dental implant done five months ago. About three months ago it got infected. I went to my dentist, who cleaned out the infection and prescribed antibiotics. The infection did not go away, so I was prescribed antibiotics two more times. Once again, the infe...  Read Full »