Q. I am not comfortable with my retainers after getting veneers. What to do?

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 25 year old male who had braces five years back. I had braces for two and a half years for upper teeth only, and I still wear my retainer every night. I recently got veneers on my upper six front teeth, so my dentist had to make a couple of adjustments to my retainer. For about two months the retainer was good, but recently in the morning when I take my retainer out, one or two of my veneers seem to move and when I bite they click back into place. I went to my dentist, but he assured me that everything is fine. He also said that if it bothers me so much, then I should see my orthodontist about getting a new retainer. As an experiment, I wore my retainer for about a week (day and night) and throughout that time, I did not have any movement issues. Then when I switched back to only night-time wear, it started happening in the mornings again.

I am worried that my teeth are being damaged and that they are going to fall out randomly one morning. Do you think I need a new retainer? I have an appointment with my orthodontist in a month. So, I also wanted to know, do I require wearing my retainer until my appointment? And if yes, then how often?

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

• The reason why you are experiencing this is probably because of your retainer.
  • Your retainer might be active or tight, which exerts a force on your teeth when you wear it. When the force is removed, the teeth does move very minutely, which is imperceptible sometimes.
  • When you wear it full time, the force is never released from the tooth, and so the tooth might only move when you remove the retainer.
  • It will help if you get a new retainer made for yourself. I would suggest you continue wearing the retainer and avoid wearing it only one night before the orthodontist's appointment. 

For further queries consult an orthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

| 

Thank you for the reply. I will continue wearing my retainer until the appointment. Should I wear the retainer throughout the day or only at night?

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

• You can wear the retainer only at night, and that will maintain the teeth in position.
  • You can avoid wearing the retainer on the last night before your appointment.

For further information consult an orthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

|