Q. Is there any treatment other than braces for relapse of orthodontic treatment?

Dr. Tooba Qazi
Published on Jan 15, 2019

I have a complex case, as stated by my dentist. I had braces five years ago, but my teeth went back to their previous state, overlapped, like they were tightly fit into a small place, apparently because of the shape of my mouth. Also, I have fear from getting braces the second time, that it could cause harm to my teeth and still they would stay the same. Is there another solution? I am 18 years old now.

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentistry
#

I can exactly tell you about your case on seeing radiographs and clinical pictures of teeth if you can provide. While, your query is telling me you had a relapse of orthodontic treatment. Now you have two options.

1. Go for invisible tray ortho treatment (in which invisible trays are given instead of metal brackets). This is an expensive one and treatment time is prolonged. Your teeth will not weaken in it as bracketing will not be done.

2. Go for conventional metal bracketing ortho treatment. Get it done and do get fixed retainers at the end of treatment, that is, the invisible wire at back side of teeth that prevents teeth to come back at their previous positions for your entire life. This is not expensive, a bit economical and treatment result is fast.

If your teeth get weaken at end of treatment, get them veneeres or get filling of composites done on them. All will be fine then.

Will removing wisdom tooth create space for crowded teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have high canine teeth due to crowding in my upper jaw. Visually, it appears that space, where my canines should be, is too small for them. However, when I went to an orthodontist, she said that I would need to get my first premolars removed to make room. If I get my wisdom teeth out...  Read Full »

Should I get Invisalign or retainer to correct space between my teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I got braces off five years ago and hardly wore my retainer. I have a permanent retainer on two of my front teeth. Now, I have horrible overjet, spacing between canines and two front teeth and crowding on the bottom. Will I need braces? Or can I get Invisalign or even a better retainer? T...  Read Full »

I have started to get space between teeth after orthodontic treatment. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had braces on my teeth when I was 15 years old. Now I am 24 and I can see a lot of gaps developing between my teeth. Should I put on braces again or is there any alternative option that I should choose?  Read Full »