Q. Is there any treatment other than braces for relapse of orthodontic treatment?

Dr. Tooba Qazi

I have a complex case, as stated by my dentist. I had braces five years ago, but my teeth went back to their previous state, overlapped, like they were tightly fit into a small place, apparently because of the shape of my mouth. Also, I have fear from getting braces the second time, that it could cause harm to my teeth and still they would stay the same. Is there another solution? I am 18 years old now.

#

I can exactly tell you about your case on seeing radiographs and clinical pictures of teeth if you can provide. While, your query is telling me you had a relapse of orthodontic treatment. Now you have two options.

1. Go for invisible tray ortho treatment (in which invisible trays are given instead of metal brackets). This is an expensive one and treatment time is prolonged. Your teeth will not weaken in it as bracketing will not be done.

2. Go for conventional metal bracketing ortho treatment. Get it done and do get fixed retainers at the end of treatment, that is, the invisible wire at back side of teeth that prevents teeth to come back at their previous positions for your entire life. This is not expensive, a bit economical and treatment result is fast.

If your teeth get weaken at end of treatment, get them veneeres or get filling of composites done on them. All will be fine then.

|