Q. Kindly explain about the usage of Lidocaine to numb the pressure due to retainers.

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

I am trying to use Lidocaine spray to numb the pressure sensation I get from wearing my retainer. Could you please tell me how to properly use Lidocaine spray without numbing my whole mouth and tongue? I just want to target the lower jaw.

#

I should recommend you revisit your Dentist to get it adjusted. The retainer might be too tight ,it should not be as tight to take a numbing spray (Lidocaine). For now if you are using a numbing spray there is no way you can stop numbing your tongue in as you cannot manage the aerosol of the spay, eventually it is going to spread and numb the entire mouth as you are saying.

For the time being, I might suggest Rexidine M Forte gel (numbing gel). It contains Chlorhexidine + Metronidazole + Ligocaine. It will help you better but its action might be less than the spray but definately will help you with the issue of numbing the entire mouth. Dressin mouthwash (relieves a bit pain upon using). These two.things will help you a lot.

Pressure from a tight retainer

|