Q. After some years of ortho treatment my teeth got shifted. Why?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 07, 2019

I got my braces treatment done before 12 years, as my teeth in the upper jaw were outwards than lower ones. Doctor put braces on my upper jaw as the problem was in the upper jaw teeth. But after two to three years teeth starting shifting and now I have developed spaces between teeth randomly and in between front two teeth as well. Need advice that whether again getting braces treatment would fix the problem or not? And what could be the possible reason behind this problem?

#

The reason for relapse are many,

1. Dietary habits, eating hard food, putting much pressure on teeth.

2. Not using retainers up to the suggested time.

3. Internal factors such as lower teeth or jaw alignment which might be interfering with upper jaw alignment.

4. Other habits such as tongue thrusting or mouth breathing if any you have, and wrong brushing techniques.

5. I would suggest you go to some other orthodontist, as you are not satisfied with the earlier one, an OPG will be taken, kindly reply me back with the same. We can then further discuss the treatment plan.

I need a second opinion about my orthodontic treatment.

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently having Damon braces for almost a year. I have attached a picture. What do you think about my teeth position, especially, my canine? I think it looks weird. What should be done by my dentist to make it look right?  Read Full >>

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Damon braces are a self-ligating system of dental braces and it implicates light forces over the teeth and lets the tooth movement occur in a short time and needs fewer adjustments. The image that you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity), does ...  Read Full

Can I use Crest whitening strips if I have a permanent retainer?

Query: Hello doctor, Can I use Crest whitening strips if I have a permanent retainer?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The strips will whiten only the portion of the tooth that it comes in contact with. If it is a fixed retainer, then you can use it on the front surface, but do not let the chemical touch your inner surfaces of teeth. I will prefer not using it in such a case, as ther...  Read Full

Should I get Invisalign or retainer to correct space between my teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I got braces off five years ago and hardly wore my retainer. I have a permanent retainer on two of my front teeth. Now, I have horrible overjet, spacing between canines and two front teeth and crowding on the bottom. Will I need braces? Or can I get Invisalign or even a better retainer? T...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prerna Jain
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There seems to have been a significant relapse of orthodontic treatment in the post treatment phase, which is not possible to solve though retainers alone (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Retainers are passive and cannot provide much of tooth movement by ...  Read Full