Q. I am depressed by thinking about my disease. How to come out of this?

Dr. Roshan Bhad
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 17, 2020

Recently, I was diagnosed to have IBS with diarrhea. I also have chronic low back pain. I am now depressed by thinking so much about my diseases. Now, I have no interest in any work and also not happy. When my boss or other coworker say something about any work, I am getting tense. Also, my mood changes daily. What is my problem? My current medications are Rantac 150 twice daily, Rifagut 200 twice daily, Normaxin twice daily and Zincovit thrice daily. I have been taking all these for the past 10 days. Please help with my condition.

Dr. Roshan Bhad

Psychiatry
#

• As you already mentioned that you are suffering from irritable bowel syndrome, in this condition you must understand that it is a chronic condition.
  • IBS requires both medications and psychotherapy for better management of the problem.
  • Since, you are also having depressive symptoms, you must consult a local psychiatrist. He will probably start you on antidepressant medication if required.
  • In addition, psychotherapy based on cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) protocol conducted by well trained psychiatrist or psychologist will help you in managing irritable bowel syndrome.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 
sir for this therapy i have to go for personally or it can be done at vedio consultation. Now I am taking FLUDAC 20 for ibs. Sir i want to do cbt as per ur advise but is it possible in vedio consultancy than it will b better.

Dr. Roshan Bhad

Psychiatry
# Dear Mr Thapa,
I would recommend face to face consultation with psychologist in addition to C. Fluoxetine 20 mg. You may find local psychiatrist/ psychologist in your locality for CBT. If there is no other option then you can go for video consultation. Hope this answers your query.
Dr Roshan

| 

I have IBS and seems to be related to SIBO. Please advise management.

Query: Hi doctor, I realize I have IBS symptoms and they seem to be related to SIBO. I need your advice on how to treat it effectively. Here are some symptoms and test results. Leaky gut or intestinal permeability with multiple food intolerances. Seems to have hydrogen sulfide based SIBO, severe farting...  Read Full »

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Symptoms, Causes and Treatment

Article Overview: Irritable bowel syndrome is one of the annoying gastrointestinal tract diseases because of the chronic nature of the disease and the variety of symptoms that can interfere with your daily life. Read Article

Dr. Mahmoud Abdallah Elashkar

Irritable bowel syndrome is a functional disturbance of colonic motility without organic causes. IBS is characterized by abdominal pain and altered bowel habits. Causes:  Unknown, but psychological disturbance plays a role. Symptoms: IBS is known to have a long history with long interval pe...  Read Article