Q. Please help me come out of my anxiety, stress and forgetfulness.

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 12, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

I am suffering from severe anxiety and heart attack like debilitating panic attacks when presented with work deadlines, enclosed spaces such as subways, elevators and small airplanes. I have relationship fears. Nothing in my life provides me joy or relieves me of my symptoms. I had the same feeling six years ago after a break up. Now, symptoms return easily when in fear of life. I had Zolpidem for depression before to get sleep, but I stopped because of the side effect of brittle bone. I am fuzzy headed, stressed, forgetful, regretful of any decision I make and I cannot make decisions without fear. I do not have any friends. I do not belong anywhere. I am not a part of anything. I exercise outside every day. I eat only healthy foods. I am underweight. Please help me to come out of this.

#

• From the available description, it is almost clear that you are having depression along with claustrophobia (fear of confined spaces).
  • It is obvious that you are not enjoying anything, fallen down to social ladder, feel distressed, loss of pleasure in almost all activities and guilt feelings along with fear of closed spaces.
  • If I need to assess the severity of your symptoms it will fall somewhere between moderate to severe depression along with functional impairment. Having said this there is definite need of treatment as moderate to severe depression almost never remits without medication.
  • For a 45 year old woman, I feel Desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) will be the right choice followed by SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) group of medications.
  • I understand your concern about the brittle bones and other side effects of these antidepressants. But, we need to consider both harms and benefits of medication as well as depression. If you consider both of them there are definite benefits with medications which outweigh the potential side effects.
  • I like to assure you that antidepressants are not the harmful or dangerous medications as described over some online platforms. I think you understand better that how they helped you in past, what they can deliver when we are one of saddest person in the world (depression).
  • Small dosage of Zolpidem can help you for sleep to some extent, but they do not help in depression which is our primary concern.
  • I request you to see a psychiatrist for detailed evaluation and to discuss the right choice for your treatment.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

Please help with Alprazolam addiction.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. My weight is 68 kg. I am married and have two kids. Because, of the disturbance made by my kids, I was not able to sleep well sometimes. So, I just started taking tablet Alprazolam 0.25 mg. Now I have been trying to gradually stop taking the medicine. So, I ha...  Read Full »

Having depression and not getting well with SSRI. Can you suggest any treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from depression, anxiety, and OCD. I have tried triglycerides and SSRI, but they do not seem to work. I also have BP and diabetes. I am currently on cardiac medicines as I have undergone angioplasty twice. Please suggest me the treatment for depression.  Read Full »

Will my anxiety relapse if I stop SSRI?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a male who was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and social anxiety, eight years back. Initially, I was prescribed Paxil 20 mg, which helped treat my anxiety and depression but I started having side effects of weight gain, fatigue, and sexual dysfunction. When I st...  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»