Q. Why do I always feel depressed and suffocated?

Dr. Mehmet Akif Camkurt
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 07, 2019

I feel low all the time. I do not like to do any work, neither do I feel like eating. I feel like something inside me is being broken or cramped. I feel like crying out loud. While listening to songs, my eyes get filled with tears, and I start crying. I feel suffocated. Long back, when I felt the same way, I did an online depression test. It showed severe depression, but I did not take any medicines. I just motivated myself and slowly started feeling better. Please help me.

#

• As you stated this is the second episode, it alerts us that you have recurrent depressive episodes which are a predictor for further ones.
  • Depression usually lasts about three to six months. But, recurrent episodes could be longer and more severe.
  • I suggest you try taking Mirtazapine. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start the medicine after their consent.

For further queries consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

Thank you for the reply. I have a constant fear of dying. I feel cold and tremble, and sometimes I have heartburn and pain in my chest. I feel suffocated. I feel a sudden pain, and I start crying. It is getting hard to hold on to my tears. I have mood swings. Sometimes I feel like I am the happiest person alive, and sometimes I feel so depressed and feel as if there is no reason for me to be happy. Everything that I enjoyed doing before is getting irritating, and I have become lazy. I feel fatigue and do not feel like eating or working or doing anything. Emptiness is haunting me every time. I am getting frustrated because of all these things.

#

• I understand your situation. However before continuing your evaluation, could you please provide me the following information?
  • Did you ever see a psychiatrist? Are you taking any medication?
  • In the past, did you take any medications?  If yes, then what kind of medications did you take?
  • Are your symptoms episodic? If so, could you inform me about the current and previous episodes?

Revert with the answers to the above questions to a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

I have never been to a psychiatrist, and have never taken any medications. I can feel the episodes myself. I know when I am normal like others, and feel different when my mood changes.

#

• By episodes, I mean, do you feel like this all the time or it is temporary? If you experience these symptoms intermittently, how long do these episodes last?
  • If you always feel like this, how long it has been? Did you ever feel like you are too happy?
  • Did you ever experience any hallucinations? How is your sleep? Do you think of suicide?
  • Are you married? Who else lives with you in your house?
  • Please answer the above questions, so that I can diagnose and treat you better.

Revert with more information to a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

I noticed white strings in my stool. I hope it is not parasites. Please help.

Query: Hi, I am a 34 year old female. I noticed what looks like white strings in my stool. I am also having symptoms like abdominal cramps and pain, severe fatigue, memory issues, dizziness, and sometimes constipation. I am hoping it is not parasites. Please help.  Read Full »

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity. Read Article

Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every co...  Read Article

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article