Q. Why do I always feel depressed and suffocated?

Dr. Mehmet Akif Camkurt
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 07, 2019

I feel low all the time. I do not like to do any work, neither do I feel like eating. I feel like something inside me is being broken or cramped. I feel like crying out loud. While listening to songs, my eyes get filled with tears, and I start crying. I feel suffocated. Long back, when I felt the same way, I did an online depression test. It showed severe depression, but I did not take any medicines. I just motivated myself and slowly started feeling better. Please help me.

#

• As you stated this is the second episode, it alerts us that you have recurrent depressive episodes which are a predictor for further ones.
  • Depression usually lasts about three to six months. But, recurrent episodes could be longer and more severe.
  • I suggest you try taking Mirtazapine. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start the medicine after their consent.

For further queries consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Thank you for the reply. I have a constant fear of dying. I feel cold and tremble, and sometimes I have heartburn and pain in my chest. I feel suffocated. I feel a sudden pain, and I start crying. It is getting hard to hold on to my tears. I have mood swings. Sometimes I feel like I am the happiest person alive, and sometimes I feel so depressed and feel as if there is no reason for me to be happy. Everything that I enjoyed doing before is getting irritating, and I have become lazy. I feel fatigue and do not feel like eating or working or doing anything. Emptiness is haunting me every time. I am getting frustrated because of all these things.

#

• I understand your situation. However before continuing your evaluation, could you please provide me the following information?
  • Did you ever see a psychiatrist? Are you taking any medication?
  • In the past, did you take any medications?  If yes, then what kind of medications did you take?
  • Are your symptoms episodic? If so, could you inform me about the current and previous episodes?

Revert with the answers to the above questions to a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

I have never been to a psychiatrist, and have never taken any medications. I can feel the episodes myself. I know when I am normal like others, and feel different when my mood changes.

#

• By episodes, I mean, do you feel like this all the time or it is temporary? If you experience these symptoms intermittently, how long do these episodes last?
  • If you always feel like this, how long it has been? Did you ever feel like you are too happy?
  • Did you ever experience any hallucinations? How is your sleep? Do you think of suicide?
  • Are you married? Who else lives with you in your house?
  • Please answer the above questions, so that I can diagnose and treat you better.

Revert with more information to a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|