Q. How to bring down the allergic reaction I had for cough medicine?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I recently had an allergic reaction to cough medicine. Nowadays, every time I sweat and getting rash. The reaction happened about a week ago. I am just wondering how long this will last.

#

I had gone through all the data posted.

• Firstly, it is very rare to get an allergic reaction to cough medicine. Kindly tell me more details about the episode that happened a week ago.
  • Was there a fever? What made you think of allergic reaction? Now, where is the rash? Is it itchy? Can you share some pictures of the rash if possible?
  • Do you have asthma or childhood history of asthma and any history of allergy?
  • Generally, allergic reaction subsides within three to five days.
  • Do you use any other medicine? Kindly review with more details so that I can help you better.

Revert with the details to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Before a week, I woke up with a headache, cold and slight sore throat. Then, after two days I had a cough, I got some cough medicine from the chemist and had three doses of it throughout the day. That afternoon, I went to the gym and once I sweated I broke out with a rash all over my body. I attended the hospital and was given a needle of Phenergan. This cleared it up temporarily but since then every time I take part in physical activity and sweat I break out again. Then once I shower and cool down it clears up. It is very itchy, red and usually starts on my back or stomach and spreads to my arms and legs after that.

#

I had gone through all the data posted.

• From the above data, it does not look like allergic reaction due to cough medicine.
  • It is an allergic reaction, but the trigger is not the cough medicine. Mostly it would be a new environment, towel or something that you started using new or doing new.
  • Allergy due to any medicine usually occurs immediately or early after taking medicine and usually gets down after stopping it.
  • From your history, you are still having complaints after stopping the drug and it means that there is some trigger at the environment itself or any new ornament that you are wearing.
  • Try doing workout or physical activity at home or some other place, try changing towel or dress you use for workout.
  • I suggest you tablet Ebast (Ebastine) 10 mg once a day preferably 2 hours before going for workout. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

How long will it last? Will it go away?

#

• Is itching more during daytime or night? Are skin lesions present over hands, especially finger webs?
  • Kindly consult a dermatologist for clinical examination and basic blood tests.
  • Take Ebastine and see for two days. As I told, until we find the causating agent the rash may not subside.

Revert back with the answers to an internal medicine specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|