Q. Does slow rise in hCG indicate any abnormality?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 10, 2020

My hCG level is not doubling. What can be the reason? A week back it was 250 and now it is 423. Is this abnormal? Please suggest.

#

If hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) report can be relied, it indicates possibility of impending abortion (miscarriage).

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thanks for your reply. For severe allergy and wheezing, I have been taking Ebast-M tablet for a week. Is this related to the slow increase of hCG? Should I get a scan immediately? Since hCG is only 420, will it show anything?

#

• Rise in beta hCG is not related to tablet Ebast-M (combination of Ebastine and Montelukast).
  • You can wait for another week and then decide for an ultrasound scan.
  • Normally pregnancy can be seen on ultrasound scan when beta hCG is ≥1500 mIU/mL. So there is no point in going for scan at this moment.

Hi doctor, Should I continue the routine medicines prescribed by my doctor that is Folic acid and Progesterone tablet (Susten VT 200)? When can we decisively say whether the pregnancy is normal or not (miscarriage)? I have attached the reports of my blood test. Also, I had forgotten to mention that I had PCOD before conception.

#

You need to continue your medicines till your next scan and if scan report comes normal, you need to continue till 11-12 weeks.

• Normally scan is done between 6 and 7 weeks of gestational age for viability or dating and location of pregnancy, when expected level of hCG is ≥1500 mIU/mL.
  • Regarding PCOD, women having PCOD are at increased risk of miscarriage. There is no specific intervention to reduce the risk.

Your report appears fine except eosinophilia and leucocytosis for which you are already taking treatment.

• One more thing you need to keep in mind is risk of ectopic pregnancy (pregnancy outside uterus, for example in tubes), especially with slow rise of beta hCG.
  • It can manifest with ruptured ectopic with severe abdominal pain, giddiness and bleeding vaginally. If you experience these symptoms, you need to go to hospital for emergency intervention (commonly laparoscopy).
  • Though from the rise in beta hCG, chance of ectopic is low (but not zero).

Remember, you need to get an ultrasound by sixth week (42 days from last menstrual period) for localization and health of pregnancy.

|