Q. My wife has diabetes and is pregnant now. Will insulin injection cause any harm to my baby?

My wife is 38 years old. She had an abortion in 2012 around her six months of pregnancy due to the defects of diabetics. From that time onwards she has not taken any treatment for diabetics.

As per her report, pregnancy starts from 18th February. We have started Insulin Eglucent three times and Levemir sleeping time as per doctor's advice. Is there any problem to the baby or my wife? We are strictly following the diet and taking insulin with regular blood check-up (four times daily).

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

From your history, I gather that you have been taking insulin from early pregnancy and closely following it. If your blood sugar levels are well controlled with diet, exercise, and insulin, then there is nothing to worry about. There is no specific and extra chance for the baby to have any anomalies. Baby will have all the features of a normal pregnancy. The pregnancy complications rate is same as any other normal pregnancy. You do not need to worry.

You can have an NT (Nuchal translucency) ultrasound scan at 11-14 weeks, Quadruple marker at 15-17 weeks, anomaly scan at 19 weeks, and fetal echocardiogram at 22-24 weeks. This is just for your satisfaction.

For every lady with diabetes or previous history so, is tested with this. Do not worry your wife and baby are both doing fine.

|