Q. My father has uncontrolled type 2 diabetes and severe leg pain. Please help.

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 08, 2020

My father's age is 70 years, and he has type II diabetes mellitus for the past 30 years. His present blood sugar level are fasting 143 and PP 221. He is having muscle pain and cramp on his right leg for the last few years. He has pain in the leg for the past 15 years, and he could not walk then. But after some treatment like placing warm water in the right leg, he has been able to walk, but having pain mainly below the knee level. Recently he had undergone prostate and hernia surgery.

Kindly suggest some treatment.

#

I am here to help you. I have read your question with care and understand your concerns.

1. His blood sugar levels are very high, and diabetes is not under control, so first, we need to control it.

2. Muscle pain and cramp on his right leg for the last few years, and other complaints can be possibly due to uncontrolled diabetes. We have to first bring his diabetes strictly under control and wait for six weeks to see whether these problems are solved. Only if they do not go away even after six weeks of proper diabetes control, we have to treat them separately.

I hope you found the answer helpful. Proper diet modifications can solve most problems. Also, please specify whether he takes,

(1) Egg.

(2) Chicken.

(3) Mutton.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take care.

|