Q. How effective is Metformin in treating diabetes?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I have been a diabetic for the past eight years, and my depression is 9.7 out of 10. My retina is also affected by it. I also have blurred vision, weakness, increased thirst, loss of memory, coordination problems of body parts, sudden blanking out, and numbness of my leg, which is increasing as time passes. Currently, I am taking tablet Glycomet and Ventab plus. Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. And from what you have attached (attachment removed to protect the patient’s identity), it appears that you have uncontrolled diabetes with complications of diabetic retinopathy and peripheral neuropathy. Your HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) is 13.4 %, and tablet Glycomet alone does not help in that case. I suggest you do the following:

1) Tablet Vildagliptin 50 mg twice daily.

2) Tablet Glycomet (Metformin) 500 mg thrice daily.

3) Tablet Neurobion forte (Thiamine) twice daily.

You also need better blood sugar control to prevent further complications of the eye and legs. I also suggest you do glucose self-monitoring and see if it drops to below 100 mg/dL. In that case, you must eat something. I also suggest you follow up again in one month to control your blood sugar further.

|