Q. My fasting sugar is more than postprandial. Is this serious?

Dr. Ankush Gupta
Published on Mar 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2019

My fasting sugar has been more than postprandial sugar levels consistently in the last few reports. The last four months values are 130 and 120, 125 and 113, 121 and 127, 118 and 99 respectively. With these data, I have not been given any medicines for diabetes. At present I am taking medicines for BP; Stamace 5 and Atorsave 10. Can you guide me on this? Is it abnormal or serious?

Dr. Ankush Gupta

Critical Care Physician Diabetology
#

• The decrease in postprandial blood sugar can be explained by stimulation of insulin release after food which will decrease the blood sugar.
  • Increase in blood sugar in empty stomach is due to glucagon secretion which will increase the blood sugar level.
  • You have not mentioned your weight and family history of diabetes. But, looking at your fasting blood sugar levels over time, it is more than normal range. So you have risk of developing diabetes in the future.
  • I would suggest you to start on tablet Glyciphage 500 mg (Metformin) once daily. Keep a track of your fasting blood sugar and report to me the progress.
  • Go for daily walk and avoid lifts. In food, avoid oily and high fat diet.

For further information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

| 

Related Video

What is the recommended dose of Metformin for my sugar levels?

Query: Hi doctor, My age is 33 and weight is 80 kg. My glycosylated fasting sugar 106 and postprandial is 115. Will Metformin help me to lose weight? Which medicine is better, either Metformin or Metformin extended release? How much dosage should I take?  Read Full »

What is Fourderm cream used for?

Query: Hi doctor, I am working at a steel industry. So, due to excess heat in the workplace I always have a lot of sweat in private areas. I consult a doctor for the infection. He prescribed me Betadine powder to use and Fourderm cream. Is it helpful?  Read Full »

How to Fight Hypoglycemia?

Article Overview: Hypoglycemia or low sugar is common in diabetic patients. It is very important for us to know how to encounter it when it happens. What is needed to be done in case of emergency is discussed in this article. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

Hypoglycemia occurs when plasma glucose is lower than 70 mg/dl. There are three stages of hypoglycemia: Mild hypoglycemia - Symptoms like tingling sensation, dizziness, hunger, weakness, etc Severe hypoglycemia - Loss of consciousness Moderate hypoglycemia - Palpitation, tremors, confusion, di...  Read Article

Ask a Diabetologist Now