Q. My HbA1c is 7. 5. Should I continue my tablet for diabetes?

Dr. Gupta Ankush Dhaniram
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 21, 2019

I am a 52 year old female. One year before I went to a diabetologist and took glucose tolerance test. Here is the result, fasting - 128 mg/dL, 1 hour - 340 mg/dL, 2 hour - 196 mg/dL. Doctor prescribed medicine for a month but after that I did not take any medication. Now I would like to know should I take any tablet. Here I have also attached my HbA1c report for your reference.

#

• As you have mentioned that took medicine for a month, still your HbA1c - glycated hemoglobin is 7.5 (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is little high. The target of HbA1c should be less than 7.
  • So, I would suggest you to continue with tablet Glyciphage 500 mg (Metformin) with breakfast and with dinner for a month along with diet management and regular exercise.
  • Do not take oily or fatty outside food and rice.
  • Do 30 minutes of brisk walking every day. Repeat fasting blood sugar after one month and report to me.

Revert back after a month to a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Should I take the tablet before food or after food?

#

• You can take Glyciphage with food. It does not cause hypoglycemia and so it is safe.

Hello Doctor,
As advised by you I was taking Glyciphage 500 mg twice a day for the past one month along with 30 minutes walking.

So I here is the blood glucose reading during this period.
8/5/2016 - AC 8:30 AM - 108 mg/dl
8/5/2016 - PC 10:30 AM - 103 mg/dl
5/6/2016 - AC - 7:45 AM - 103 mg/dl
5/6/2016 - PC - 11:45 AM - 156 mg/dl.
# Hello Nirmala
Nice to hear from you and grt to see the reduction in blood sugar.
U r doing grt.
Continue with exercise , diet n same medication for 1 more month.
Repeat fasting blood sugar and hba1c after 1 month n report to me.
Regards

|