Q. My HbA1c is 7. 5. Should I continue my tablet for diabetes?

Dr. Ankush Gupta
Published on Jun 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 21, 2019

I am a 52 year old female. One year before I went to a diabetologist and took glucose tolerance test. Here is the result, fasting - 128 mg/dL, 1 hour - 340 mg/dL, 2 hour - 196 mg/dL. Doctor prescribed medicine for a month but after that I did not take any medication. Now I would like to know should I take any tablet. Here I have also attached my HbA1c report for your reference.

Dr. Ankush Gupta

Critical Care Physician Diabetology
#

• As you have mentioned that took medicine for a month, still your HbA1c - glycated hemoglobin is 7.5 (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is little high. The target of HbA1c should be less than 7.
  • So, I would suggest you to continue with tablet Glyciphage 500 mg (Metformin) with breakfast and with dinner for a month along with diet management and regular exercise.
  • Do not take oily or fatty outside food and rice.
  • Do 30 minutes of brisk walking every day. Repeat fasting blood sugar after one month and report to me.

Revert back after a month to a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Should I take the tablet before food or after food?

Dr. Ankush Gupta

Critical Care Physician Diabetology
#

• You can take Glyciphage with food. It does not cause hypoglycemia and so it is safe.

Hello Doctor,
As advised by you I was taking Glyciphage 500 mg twice a day for the past one month along with 30 minutes walking.

So I here is the blood glucose reading during this period.
8/5/2016 - AC 8:30 AM - 108 mg/dl
8/5/2016 - PC 10:30 AM - 103 mg/dl
5/6/2016 - AC - 7:45 AM - 103 mg/dl
5/6/2016 - PC - 11:45 AM - 156 mg/dl.

Dr. Ankush Gupta

Critical Care Physician Diabetology
# Hello Nirmala
Nice to hear from you and grt to see the reduction in blood sugar.
U r doing grt.
Continue with exercise , diet n same medication for 1 more month.
Repeat fasting blood sugar and hba1c after 1 month n report to me.
Regards
Related Video

My husband had five episodes of hypoglycemia in a single day. What could be causing all these?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband has type 1 diabetes. He has had no Insulin today but has had five hypos today, and his sugar levels are dropping again. He had his regular food all day, drank juice and cans of coke. He has not done anything different to any other day and also has not been stressed either. He t...  Read Full »

What is the recommended dose of Metformin for my sugar levels?

Query: Hi doctor, My age is 33 and weight is 80 kg. My glycosylated fasting sugar 106 and postprandial is 115. Will Metformin help me to lose weight? Which medicine is better, either Metformin or Metformin extended release? How much dosage should I take?  Read Full »

Penis enlargement exercises led to swollen veins on my shaft. Please guide me.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a healthy 33 year old male. I have sex regularly and masturbate regularly. Over the years, I dabbled in penis enlargement exercises. I quit doing them a while back because I felt it was causing a damage to the penis. Recently, I used a cock ring, but for not more than ten minute...  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now