iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersCardiologydiet chartSuggest a diet for my husband's high BP and cholesterol.

My husband is 35 years old. He is under medication for high BP and cholesterol. Kindly help with the diet.

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At October 18, 2014
Reviewed AtJune 20, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi Doctor,

My husband is 35 years old. He is on medication for high BP and cholesterol.

BP being 145/100,

Kindly help with the diet plan.

Thank you.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Diet plan for your husband is as follows:

  • Do not use table salt, i.e, avoid using salt for him over and above what you use in cooking vegetables and other dishes.
  • Avoid pickles/white bread/soups/noodles/any kind of food requiring excessive preservation/lentil cakes (papad or appalam), chutneys and indigenous powders (churans).
  • He must not take alcohol more than 2 pegs a day (in case he drinks). It would be better to quit the habit.
  • He should do daily exercise under supervision of physician.
  • Must try to keep his weight under control (Body Mass Index BMI- 23).
  • Avoid sweets/fried items/saturated fats/pure processed carbohydrates like potato chips etc.
  • Diet should have fibers/vegetables/nuts/legumes/ fruits/low fat dairy products.
  • Try to do meditation and yoga.
  • He should quit smoking (In case if he smokes).

Hope this helps.

Consult a cardiologist online for further advice --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sukhvinder Singh
Dr. Sukhvinder Singh


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy