Q. I feel suffocated and anxious while outdoors. Is this due to the mask that I wear?

Dr. Sanya Dhingra

I am a chronic DM type 2 patient with hypertension and hypothyroidism. I have a history of TIA in the past. Off late, I can say with the start of Corona, while outdoors, I feel very suffocating, weak, and anxious. I think it may be due to wearing masks. I do not feel such problems at home. Some water and biscuits help a little. Kindly guide, as this condition has compelled me to leave my job.

I am currently on medications for diabetes, hypothyroidism, hypertension, blood thinner, and a tranquilizer.

#

I can understand your concern. I can see that you have not monitored your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) levels for quite some time now. So please get your TSH, HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) levels checked. Kindly follow up with reports and Levothyroxine's dosage and oral hypoglycemic agents that you are currently prescribed to.

Yes, the suffocation could be due to a mask, for which you can change to an N95 mask with a respirator. This should help. Also, you need to get an ECG (electrocardiography) done and echocardiography if required after the ECG.

You have to focus on weight loss. For that, you will have to reduce the carbohydrates in your diet. This will help lower your glucose levels and ultimately help you with your metabolic syndrome and overall symptoms improvement.

You can follow up for dietary advice if you feel the need. Regular brisk walking for 40 minutes, for five days a week, is necessary.

Serum TSH. HbA1c. ECG. Serum lipid profile.

| 

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

I am suffering from lack of sleep and anxiety. What is the treatment?

Query: Hello doctor,Recently I am suffering from lack of sleep and anxiety, last night I could not sleep at all because of restlessness and from a couple of days. I have been sleeping less for like two to three hours in the night. I am also suffering from anxiety, where I sweat a lot and become restless. P...  Read Full »

I have an anxiety problem from the past 10 years. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Anxiety is every day of my life. I rarely get small breaks without anxiety. It has been 10 years now. Panic attacks do come. I am taking Xanax 0.5 mg 1 to 3 days. I am a 26 years old male, and my height and weight are 5.9" and 80 kg respectively. Please help.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»