Q. How can I improve digestion?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2021

We are living in an area where water having high TDS level. So, here almost 70% people facing stomach and intestine related issue. I am a physically fit person and my age is 37. I am doing regular weight exercise (gym workout) for the past 7 years continuously. All areas of my body are well shaped, but only in stomach area fat are stubborn. Also, my digestion is not proper. I had started drinking water from RO, changed food habit, started eating thermogenic foods, fibers and tried aerobic exercise and almost everything, but in the morning I am always facing the problem of constipation. Mostly, I am facing gas problem in the stomach. My stomach feels bloated for around three to four days in a week and this problem has been there for around 5 years. Today, I had seen blood in my stool and this is the first time. I am worried about that, although I am not facing any kind of pain or anything else. I will be fine whenever I take medicine for digestion and later the problem will recur. How I can improve my digestion system and speed up the metabolic rate? Is blood in stool, a serious issue? Kindly suggest me the solution.

#

• Do you have abdominal pain? What about your appetite?
  • What is stool consistency and was blood on the surface of stool or mixed with stool? Do you have symptoms of nausea, burning sensation in upper part of the abdomen or chest?
  • If you had recent episode of small amount of blood on the surface of the stool, then it may be due to anal fissure.
  • The issue of blood in the stool has no concern with your digestion problem, but the only exception is that if the person develop loose motion along with abdominal pain, weight loss due to malnutrition, episodes of bleeding in stool (severe cases) then it may be inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis - inflammation and ulcer of colon).
  • For indigestion, you should take digestive enzyme supplements.
  • For blood in stool, you need an evaluation. The first test is a stool occult blood test which can detect small amount of blood also. If this test comes positive, then based on your symptoms, you should proceed with either CT scan abdomen or colonoscopy.

CBC (complete blood count), stool occult blood test, digital rectal examination, proctoscopy, CT scan abdomen and colonoscopy (if required)

Inflammatory bowel disease.

Anal fissure.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a medical gastroenterologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

I do not have any inflammation. Only today, when I put too much pressure some blood came out without any stool and it was approximately 10 mL. My appetite is very good and simple. I have only the problem of gastric.

#

• Fresh blood just before stool, without any symptoms suggest the possibility of disease in anal canal either anal fissure or hemorrhoid.
  • There is no association between indigestion problem and bleeding episode.
  • You should consult a general surgeon for digital rectal examination and proctoscopy for confirmation of condition based on which treatment will be decided.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|