Q. I noticed an odd stain in my bra. Should I be worried?

Dr. Sujata Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 02, 2019

I am a 33 year old female. After my workout today, I saw a nipple stain on my bra. But, when I squeezed it, there was no discharge. Is it any thing to worry about? I am not pregnant.

#

• You have not mentioned the color of the stain. Was it unilateral or bilateral? Could the stain have been due to sweat?
  • Please check it again by squeezing the nipples in a day or two. Do not repeat the procedure frequently.
  • Alternatively, get examined by a gynecologist.

Revert with more information to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

It was bilateral.

#

• Bilateral nipple discharges could be physiological. The color of the stain is also important. If milk like, you should get thyroid profile and serum prolactin levels. If it is blood drained then you will need to send samples to the laboratory.
  • A colorless discharge might be due to extreme stress, a recent injury, surgery or if you are taking medications like antidepressants, antacids, antitubercular or antiemetics.
  • Also get a breast ultrasound bilateral postmenstrually.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Does bilateral mean for both the breasts? Also, I am about to start my period. So, my breasts are naturally tender. I have attached a picture of the stain. Kindly have a look.

#

• Yes, bilateral means both breasts. I have seen the attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The stain is not very visible as the amount of stain is very small.
  • Do not stress out. Just examine yourself post menstrually. Observe if the discharge is spontaneous or comes out when you squeeze the nipples. If a discharge is present, consult your gynecologist. Learn the technique of breast self-examination (BSE) and do it regularly.
  • And as mentioned earlier, get a thyroid function test and serum prolactin levels. Also, there is no harm in getting a breast ultrasound done.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|