Q. I noticed an odd stain in my bra. Should I be worried?

Dr. Sujata Mittal
Published on Jul 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 02, 2019

I am a 33 year old female. After my workout today, I saw a nipple stain on my bra. But, when I squeezed it, there was no discharge. Is it any thing to worry about? I am not pregnant.

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• You have not mentioned the color of the stain. Was it unilateral or bilateral? Could the stain have been due to sweat?
  • Please check it again by squeezing the nipples in a day or two. Do not repeat the procedure frequently.
  • Alternatively, get examined by a gynecologist.

Revert with more information to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

It was bilateral.

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Bilateral nipple discharges could be physiological. The color of the stain is also important. If milk like, you should get thyroid profile and serum prolactin levels. If it is blood drained then you will need to send samples to the laboratory.
  • A colorless discharge might be due to extreme stress, a recent injury, surgery or if you are taking medications like antidepressants, antacids, antitubercular or antiemetics.
  • Also get a breast ultrasound bilateral postmenstrually.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Does bilateral mean for both the breasts? Also, I am about to start my period. So, my breasts are naturally tender. I have attached a picture of the stain. Kindly have a look.

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Yes, bilateral means both breasts. I have seen the attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The stain is not very visible as the amount of stain is very small.
  • Do not stress out. Just examine yourself post menstrually. Observe if the discharge is spontaneous or comes out when you squeeze the nipples. If a discharge is present, consult your gynecologist. Learn the technique of breast self-examination (BSE) and do it regularly.
  • And as mentioned earlier, get a thyroid function test and serum prolactin levels. Also, there is no harm in getting a breast ultrasound done.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Evaluation of Breast Problems That Women Can Do at Home

Article Overview: This is a patient information article about common breast diseases and how to evaluate it. Read Article

Dr. Rashi Verma

For females, an easy way to assess their breast problems is the need of the hour. A female should do a simple checkup at home. If they notice any change then they should bring it to the doctor's attention immediately. Symptoms: Majority of women who come to the surgical outpatient department compl...  Read Article

Stress causes stiffness in my neck and back. What can be done about it?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a stiffness of neck and pain which continues to the back further. This often happens when a stressful situation arises, which also raises my BP. Worries related to health and other life concerns keep bothering me. Please suggest.  Read Full »

I am in my 30s and I have PCOS and a high prolactin level. Can I get pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31-year-old female. I have PCOS, high prolactin level, my TSH is 4.26 for which I am taking medicine and for prolactin and my AMH is 17. I got pregnant with twins when I was taking 100 mg of Clomid but there was no heartbeat by week 10. I had a few miscarriages two years ago a...  Read Full »