Q. A vaccinated dog scratched me. Should I be worried?

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2019

My friend's dog scratched me, and the dog has a tumor on her leg. The dog is vaccinated. Is that scratch still harmful? Do I still need to take any injections?

#

• First of all, give attention to the following points:
  1. Is the dog drooling constantly?
  2. Is the dog involved or was involved in any way with street dogs or any other diseased pets like cats, guinea pigs, or other mammals?
  3. Were the injections given within seven years from today?
  • If your answer to point 3 is a 'Yes', then relax, and just apply a general Povidone-iodine ointment on the scratched surface, and keep it clean.
  • If point 3 is a 'No', then watch for point 1 and 2. If any of them are a 'Yes', please get anti-rabies vaccine shots from a local clinic, if you have not taken them within the past seven years from today.
  • Remember, in the future, when you are scratched, licked on non-intact skin or bitten by dogs or cats with an unknown history, first wash the wound under tap water without rubbing it, and rush to your local clinic for anti-rabies shots.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 
1 out of 1 likes