Q. A vaccinated dog scratched me. Should I be worried?

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

My friend's dog scratched me, and the dog has a tumor on her leg. The dog is vaccinated. Is that scratch still harmful? Do I still need to take any injections?

Do you have a question on Dog Bite or Rabies Vaccine?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

MD (PHYSICIAN

• First of all, give attention to the following points:
  1. Is the dog drooling constantly?
  2. Is the dog involved or was involved in any way with street dogs or any other diseased pets like cats, guinea pigs, or other mammals?
  3. Were the injections given within seven years from today?
  • If your answer to point 3 is a 'Yes', then relax, and just apply a general Povidone-iodine ointment on the scratched surface, and keep it clean.
  • If point 3 is a 'No', then watch for point 1 and 2. If any of them are a 'Yes', please get anti-rabies vaccine shots from a local clinic, if you have not taken them within the past seven years from today.
  • Remember, in the future, when you are scratched, licked on non-intact skin or bitten by dogs or cats with an unknown history, first wash the wound under tap water without rubbing it, and rush to your local clinic for anti-rabies shots.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

A healthy dog scratched my leg. Do I have to worry about rabies?
Query: Hello doctor,Yesterday, my dog who is around two months accidentally scratched my leg. The scratch is negligible but I lost half a drop of blood. The dog looks healthy and has not been bitten by other dogs. He has not been given antirabies injection because my vet told us he is too young to get one....  Read Full »
Dr. Md. Kais Haider Chowdhury

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If a dog scratches or bites you, you need to have a vaccine. As you have a history of exposure (bites or scratches), then it is better to get the vaccine for post-exposure treatment. Post-exposure treatment consists of five injections by intramuscular route on Day 0,...  Read Full »

Can rabies virus survive outside host if exposed to sunlight?
Query: Hello doctor, Can rabies virus survive outside host on grass or leaves if it is exposed to sunlight?  Read Full »
Dr. Arun R Kaushik
Microbiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, UV rays of the sun are known to kill the virus. So usually they do not survive outside the body when exposed to the sunlight.  Read Full »

I took antirabies vaccine only 13 days after a shrew mouse bite. Am I at risk?
Query: Hello doctor,I had taken two antirabies shots ten and three months back for a dog bite. A shrew that had entered the house bit me on my back two weeks back. There was no bleeding even on applying pressure on the area, but the next day I noticed a small clot on my back like the one we have after a sc...  Read Full »
Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Rabies vaccination should ideally be started on day 0. But, you have not developed any symptoms. So, it is not late to start vaccination now. You should complete the five-injection rabies schedule. Since it was a category-2 exposure, the immunoglobulin is not requ...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now