Q. Should I go hospital immediately for a dog bite?

A dog bit me hard in my leg. I had a lot of blood flowing from my wound. I cleaned the wound with disinfectant for 20 minutes. Now the blood flow has stopped. I have done preexposure prophylaxis before three months for safety. Do I have to go to the hospital immediately?

#

You should go to the hospital soon and begin post-exposure prophylaxis as early as possible. It is better to have rabies immunoglobulin injection soon. You should clean the wound with soap and water. Get a dressing from the doctor with a Betadine solution (Povidone-Iodine) followed by application of Mupirocin ointment. You have to do dressing daily.

You should have anti-rabies vaccination on day 0, 3, 7, 14 and 28. Also, rabies immunoglobulin should be taken intramuscularly. Tetanus vaccination is also required. You can take capsule Augmentin duo 1 gm (Amoxicillin with Clavulanic acid) two times a day. You can take tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg before breakfast once a day for five days to prevent wound infection.

|