Q. Does my double marker test result show chances of complications?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2021

I want to know about the double marker test results. I am uploading the reports.

#

I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and understand your concern.

• The result is in the high-risk zone, and the next test would be a quadruple test done after two weeks to check for risk of aneuploidies.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Can you tell me what is to be done now? What are the chances of a complication? Should we be worried?

#

• The next step would be to get a quadruple screening done at 13 to 15 weeks of gestation. If the risk of trisomy 21, 13 and 18 remain high, you will have to undergo amniocentesis or NIPT (non-invasive prenatal testing) to get fetal cell karyotyping done, to check for chromosomal aneuploidy.
  • Also, there are 20 to 30 percent chances that these marker tests even if positive, deliver a normal child. Hence, karyotyping of foetus is a must.

|