Q. Will smoking after 24 hours of extraction lead to a dry socket?

Dr. Purva Jingar
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I had my lower back tooth pulled out three days back. It took a lot of effort to pull it out, as it was not loose. I have a little pain in that area and in my jaw, and I am terrified that I have or I am getting a dry socket. I am a smoker, and I waited for 24 hours before I smoked after the extraction. I also slightly rinsed my mouth with salt water after I smoked. I have been taking 600 mg of Ibuprofen, which I bought after a neck injury, and it seems to help with this pain also. Would I know if I have dry socket? Would the pain be unbearable?

#

• It seems like a dry socket, but wait for a week, for it to heal. Also, if the pain exceeds more than seven days, then visit a dentist and get an x-ray done.
  • Until then, follow the prescribed medications and quit smoking, as it is not a good habit. Drink lots of water, and if the painkiller is not working, then use clove for soothing the area.
  • I suggest using Ketorol- DT (Ketorolac), twice a day after meal. Do not speak much and massage the facial muscles slowly in a circular motion, it may help.
  • If any of this does not work, then there might be a broken piece of the tooth left behind, which is causing the pain. You need an x-ray to confirm it.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|