Q. Can taking multiple antibiotics cause redness and dryness of vagina?

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Ever since being on multiple antibiotics for a persistent UTI a year ago, I have had vaginal problems. It was first a bout of yeast infections and then BV. I have tried many pills, external and internal creams, home remedies, and diet changes, but still, I have redness and dryness externally. I have tested negative for yeast and BV, but nobody knows what is going on. Is it possible that I am just totally out of balance? I have been taking probiotics daily, but it does not seem to be working. I am desperate for help because I am literally at my wit's end.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

How are you doing? Sorry to hear what you have been through.

• I feel you are having an imbalance in the normal and abnormal organism growth. For a normal vagina, you need both normal and abnormal organisms. When you take too many antibiotics one after other, it kills most of the abnormal organisms, so the balance is shifted and you get symptoms.
  • Now, let me give you a list of things you can do:
  1. If sexually active, abstinence at least till you are fully better. Also, have your partner checked. Check his urine and semen for any significant infection.
  2. Have a urine culture and sensitivity, if there is any sterile pyuria, that is, pus cells without any growth, have only the sensitive antibiotics for the minimum duration.
  3. Get a vaginal swab for culture and sensitivity. Antifungals and antibiotics can be used if needed.
  4. Get your blood sugars and thyroid profile checked. 
  5. Avoid vaginal douches. Use bland or inert vaginal washes, just to wash the exterior. And no need to use an unnecessary vaginal suppository.
  6. Keep the perineal and vaginal area as dry as possible. Avoid synthetic undergarments, as they hold water for long, use cotton ones. Do not use any undergarment at night.
  7. Keep taking probiotics.
  8. Your BMI (basal mass index) is in the lower limit. So, have a lot of fruits, vegetables, juices, curd, milk, egg white, high-protein, and low-fat diet. Take a lot of citrus fruits as this improves your resistance and immunity.
  9. Avoid any local cosmetics or new washing powder.

Hope I have been of help to you, do write back. All the best.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|