Q. Can taking multiple antibiotics cause redness and dryness of vagina?

Ever since being on multiple antibiotics for a persistent UTI a year ago, I have had vaginal problems. It was first a bout of yeast infections and then BV. I have tried many pills, external and internal creams, home remedies, and diet changes, but still, I have redness and dryness externally. I have tested negative for yeast and BV, but nobody knows what is going on. Is it possible that I am just totally out of balance? I have been taking probiotics daily, but it does not seem to be working. I am desperate for help because I am literally at my wit's end.

Do you have a question on Dryness Of Vagina or Urine Analysis?

Ask a Doctor Now

MBBS., DGO., DNB- OBG., MNAMS
Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology

Welcome to icliniq.com.

How are you doing? Sorry to hear what you have been through.

• I feel you are having an imbalance in the normal and abnormal organism growth. For a normal vagina, you need both normal and abnormal organisms. When you take too many antibiotics one after other, it kills most of the abnormal organisms, so the balance is shifted and you get symptoms.
  • Now, let me give you a list of things you can do:
  1. If sexually active, abstinence at least till you are fully better. Also, have your partner checked. Check his urine and semen for any significant infection.
  2. Have a urine culture and sensitivity, if there is any sterile pyuria, that is, pus cells without any growth, have only the sensitive antibiotics for the minimum duration.
  3. Get a vaginal swab for culture and sensitivity. Antifungals and antibiotics can be used if needed.
  4. Get your blood sugars and thyroid profile checked. 
  5. Avoid vaginal douches. Use bland or inert vaginal washes, just to wash the exterior. And no need to use an unnecessary vaginal suppository.
  6. Keep the perineal and vaginal area as dry as possible. Avoid synthetic undergarments, as they hold water for long, use cotton ones. Do not use any undergarment at night.
  7. Keep taking probiotics.
  8. Your BMI (basal mass index) is in the lower limit. So, have a lot of fruits, vegetables, juices, curd, milk, egg white, high-protein, and low-fat diet. Take a lot of citrus fruits as this improves your resistance and immunity.
  9. Avoid any local cosmetics or new washing powder.

Hope I have been of help to you, do write back. All the best.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?
Query: Hello doctor,My mother is now 55 years and has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for over a year. Her condition was not so bad before. She was diagnosed with intestinal disease and was given some antibiotics like Flagyl or Metronidazole. After she took those pills for a month, she h...  Read Full »
Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can understand your concern. As you told that your mother had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), I want to tell you that antibiotics are not the treatment for IBS. Probiotics ca...  Read Full »

Antibiotics for urinary tract infection treatment
Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from urinary tract infection. I get these once in every couple of years. I need to get an antibiotic to get rid of it. Please help.  Read Full »
Dr. Raman Tanwar
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Recurrent urinary tract infections are common in post and perimenopausal women. You need to get a urine culture and routine investigation, so that culture guided antibiotics can be given. In these cases plenty of fluids and urine alkalizer syrups are also very helpful...  Read Full »

Please suggest medicines for parameters out of range in the blood test.
Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 36 years old. In one of her routine blood tests, we found a few anomalies. The report is attached. Please let me know your thoughts on the parameters that are out of range in the report and suggest medicines.  Read Full »
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have checked the attached photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Firstly, urine analysis shows pus cells which points to urinary tract infection. Please let me know if she has any painful urination or frequency. Secondly, the CBC (complete blood...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now