Q. I get occasional bleeding in my ear with mild pain. Will Hydrogen peroxide drops help?

Dr. Radhika Shukla
Hello, doctor.

I currently have a problem with my left ear right now. And I can't get it checked up due to quarantine, so I may need your assurance.

I scratched my ear while I was asleep the other day, surprised to be awaken by a sudden pain inside my ear. It was very painful. I assume it got a small cut or something because my nail was a little bit long. The pain lasted for five minutes or so until it subsided. When it did, it felt a liquid coming down and when I stuffed up a cotton ball, it was blood. But the pain was gone. Oh, and it felt somehow clogged too; like that pressure you feel when you blow your nose. It's bleeding a little occasionally until now, but very little. And at times when I go to sleep, I cover it with a cotton ball and find that it's still stained with blood when I wake up. Until now it's clogging a little. But not really much I guess.

How should I treat my ear? Is it ok to drop a small amount of hydrogen peroxide? Or will it ever heal on its own? Is this a serious condition? Please help, and thank you so much in advance.
#

Hello, the way you are describing your ear symptoms it seems like you have just scratched off the skin of your ear canal.. since the skin of the ear canal is very thin it takes time to heal..

when at home please do not use cotton to close the ear canal.. since there is chance of fungal ear infection developing as cotton absorbs moisture..avoid head bath for few days to prevent water from entering the ear..wash your hands..Take a cotton bud and gently clean your ear canal.. apply antibiotic ointment( soframycin/ mupirocin) on another cotton bud and apply gently inside the ear canal.. do this twice a day for 5 days..

Take Tablet Paracetamol 650 mg as and when there is pain.. Hope this helps.

| 

My son does not take any medicines due to taste issues. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2 and a half year old son had a head injury yesterday which resulted in bleeding and he ended up with five stitches. The bleeding was about 40 to 50 ml. Our local doctor prescribed an Augmentin syrup and an Ibuprofen syrup. But, due to taste issues, he is not taking any medicine, e...  Read Full »

What Can Cause Sudden Tingling And Itchy Sensation?

Query: Hi doctor, Two months ago I started feeling tingling and itching sensation between my thighs and then up to my chest. I just took the most painful shower ever (warm water). It stung and I wanted to scratch my skin off. At first there was nothing visible, just itching, now you can see red dots here...  Read Full »

Paracetamol tablets for tooth pain

Query: Hello Doctor, Can I take two Amoxicillin 500 tablets for my first dose of medicines for a tooth infection? Is there anything at home that will take the pain away?  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»