Q. Even after septoplasty, why is my ear still blocked?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2021

I recently got a septoplasty. My problem started two months ago when I had a breathing problem, and my ear was also blocked. I used to have mild pain in my ear. The doctor checked my ear, and he said it is fine. He said that my Eustachian tubes are blocked, and I had a deviated nasal septum. The doctor suggested septoplasty, which will help resolve breathing problem as well as open up my Euschtasian tubes. It has been 24 days since the operation, and my breathing problem is over, but my ear and tubes are blocked. I went to the doctor again, and he did suction. He told me to continue steam inhalation and wash. But there is no effect on my ear, and it stays blocked. Sometimes, I get mild pain, and it is always full. Is there any other way to remove the block? Is something stuck inside my tube, as no mucus comes out when I do steam inhalation? It is very uncomfortable. Please suggest.

#

• The Eustachian tube blockage due to nasal septal deviation may take some time for complete recovery. The tube takes time to decongest, as nasal mucosa takes time to heal. Take an oral decongestant and nasal decongestant drops. Get an impedance audiometry done and send me the report.
  • Take steam inhalation and chew a gum. It will also help decongest the tube. If the Eustachian tube blockage does not seem to open, then grommet insertion in the tympanic membrane needs to be done.

Any further questions are always welcome. Take care. Thanks and regards.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Thank you for replying. Whenever I do a nasal wash, water goes in my ear, which creates a problem and I feel uneasy. I think after the suction yesterday, I have water in my ear again. What to do now? My ear is paining as well.

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

• Do not do any more nasal washing. I suggest taking Paracetamol for pain, oral decongestants, steam inhalation, and chew gum. All this will help decongest the tube and will relieve pain.

For further queries consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|