I feel fullness and swelling inside my right ear, and my hearing is slightly impaired. I also feel lightheaded sometimes. But yesterday, my lightheadedness was worse. I am worried.
Welcome to icliniq.com.
There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about as this is a very common treatable entity we come across.
You have developed a eustachian tube catarrh which occurs secondary to nasal allergy. The eustachian tube ventilates the nose and the ear. In a situation where it does not function, a negative pressure develops in the side of the ear leading to the feeling of vacuum, ringing sounds, feeling of fluid in the ear, and sometimes decreased hearing.
I suggest you the following to open the eustachian tube for relief;
1) Use decongestant nasal drops containing Oxymetazoline or Xylometazoline three drops thrice daily for one week.
2) Take a tablet containing a combination of Phenylephrine and Levocetirizine twice daily after food for one week.
3) Kindly do valsalva exercises.
4) Take steam inhalation three to four times a day.
5) Refrain yourself from the use of earbuds.
6) Avoid having anything cold or spicy for two weeks.
7) Please take care to avoid dust exposure.
8) You can consider Duonase nasal spray (Fluticasone propionate and Azelastine) two puffs in each nostril twice daily for six weeks.
This typically takes around two to four weeks to settle down. Once the nasal allergies have settled down, the fluid in the ear will slowly reduce, and the associated symptoms will also disappear.
I hope I have answered your query in detail.
Was this answer helpful?|
Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!
.. are you it is wax that caused the blocked ears? If you are absolutely sure, you can put the wax dissolving drops and, it will act on the wax, temporarily swell it and then dissolve it. Or, it will make the wax soft enough for easy removal by a doc... Read fullWhat can be done to manage sinusitis with ear blockage and nasal drip?
Continue to do Valsalva maneuver, inhale steam, take OTC medicine as advised by your doctor ... Read fullMy daughter experience intermittent ear pain with clogged ears. Please help.
.. Complete the course of antibiotics. Take Mucinex D (Guaifenesin) once or twice a day, like how you have been taking for another three to four days. If Mucinex D has an antiallergic component then no need for Claritin or Allegra. Otherwise, add e... Read full
Ask your health query to a doctor online?Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist Now