Q. My right ear is slightly blocked. Please suggest a remedy.

This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Two days back, I had a severe pain in my right ear. One fine evening, the pain went severe starting from the head till the chin. I had visited an ENT doctor who removed a lot of earwax through EUM suction procedure. Since then, I got relief from the pain. But, I feel my right ear is slightly blocked compared to my left one. I again visited the ENT doctor who said my ear is clear and there is nothing that I should worry about. Can you suggest any other remedy to follow? I am worried if this block would stay permanent. I had a cold that has now resulted in a dry cough with phlegm. I will be traveling abroad in two days.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• If you have been having an ear block even after the removal of earwax, then probably there is some eustachian tube catarrh. Such a catarrh is likely after an episode of cold. The tube connects the ear to the upper part of the throat. The tube drains whatever fluid is produced inside the ear and also helps maintain an equal pressure inside the ear as well as the atmosphere. When a cold or throat pain occurs, the tube can get blocked temporarily due to mucosal edema and pus. Subsequently, the fluid produced in the ear will accumulate and cause fullness and decreased hearing.
  • I would suggest you get an audiometry and tympanometry test done to check the status of hearing and middle ear. It will then become clear whether there is any middle ear pressure difference due to fluid accumulation or ET catarrh.
  • If you were to come to me, I would give you a course of nasal decongestant, decongestant tablet, antihistaminic and anti-inflammatory medicines. If the report shows a fluid inside the ear, I would give some mucolytics also. Considering you are taking a flight in two days, I would suggest you take a tablet of Sinarest Levo (Phenylephrine and Levocetirizine) at morning and night for three days, with Chymoral Forte (Trypsin and Chymotrypsin) tablet taken twice daily before food for three days along with Otrivin nose drops (Xylometazoline). Put three drops in each nasal cavity and lie down for five minutes. The nasal drops may be put twice daily. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

Do revert back if you need any further help. Let us know the progress with medicines. If doing the tests, please share the reports.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|