Q. My right ear is slightly blocked. Please suggest a remedy.

Published on Nov 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Two days back, I had a severe pain in my right ear. One fine evening, the pain went severe starting from the head till the chin. I had visited an ENT doctor who removed a lot of earwax through EUM suction procedure. Since then, I got relief from the pain. But, I feel my right ear is slightly blocked compared to my left one. I again visited the ENT doctor who said my ear is clear and there is nothing that I should worry about. Can you suggest any other remedy to follow? I am worried if this block would stay permanent. I had a cold that has now resulted in a dry cough with phlegm. I will be traveling abroad in two days.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• If you have been having an ear block even after the removal of earwax, then probably there is some eustachian tube catarrh. Such a catarrh is likely after an episode of cold. The tube connects the ear to the upper part of the throat. The tube drains whatever fluid is produced inside the ear and also helps maintain an equal pressure inside the ear as well as the atmosphere. When a cold or throat pain occurs, the tube can get blocked temporarily due to mucosal edema and pus. Subsequently, the fluid produced in the ear will accumulate and cause fullness and decreased hearing.
  • I would suggest you get an audiometry and tympanometry test done to check the status of hearing and middle ear. It will then become clear whether there is any middle ear pressure difference due to fluid accumulation or ET catarrh.
  • If you were to come to me, I would give you a course of nasal decongestant, decongestant tablet, antihistaminic and anti-inflammatory medicines. If the report shows a fluid inside the ear, I would give some mucolytics also. Considering you are taking a flight in two days, I would suggest you take a tablet of Sinarest Levo (Phenylephrine and Levocetirizine) at morning and night for three days, with Chymoral Forte (Trypsin and Chymotrypsin) tablet taken twice daily before food for three days along with Otrivin nose drops (Xylometazoline). Put three drops in each nasal cavity and lie down for five minutes. The nasal drops may be put twice daily. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

Do revert back if you need any further help. Let us know the progress with medicines. If doing the tests, please share the reports.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

How long should I continue Levocet M for itchy throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a problem of nose block and my ENT surgeon suggested me to go for a nose operation. As per doctor instruction, operation of my nose was carried out before three months. Now my nose is almost fine, but still I feel that something is there in my throat. I also feel itchy throat and e...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms seem to suggest that you are suffering from allergy. Levocet M (Levocetirizine and Montelukast) is given for the same purpose. It is true that the medicine should be taken for a few months regularly. It has minimal side effects, like dryness of mouth, ...  Read Full

I have crackling sound and soreness in my TMJ area. Will it go away by itself?

Query: Hello doctor, I had pain in my left ear and I went to an ENT specialist. He said that my ears are fine and there is no infection. He said that I have soreness in my TMJ joint as I have a tendency to sleep on my left side with my left arm tucked under the pillow. That puts pressure on my TMJ joint a...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can be because of two reasons: Due to TMJ (temporomandibular joint) problem. For that, you can do dry hot fomentation and eat soft foods preferably from the other side. It can be due to a nose block or a mild infection. Put decongestant nose drops like Otrivin (Xyl...  Read Full

Which natural remedy can be used to cure chronic nasal congestion?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a runny nose, chronic nasal congestion, chills when cold, sneezing triggered by scents, cat, stress, cold, cigarette smoke and cleaning products. An occasional sore throat, warm body temperature, and clear nasal drip. This has been going on for over six months. Prescribed antib...  Read Full >>

Dr. Arul Amuthan
Pharmacologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For your issue, take turmeric tablets two in the morning and two at night or turmeric powder (2 gm) morning and 2 gm evening after food. Take long pepper powder 1 gm. Mix this with cow milk and boil, then drink it. Daily two times this has to be done or one gram of long...  Read Full