Q. Why do I have impaired balance when I shake my head?

Published on Apr 21, 2016

I am a 51 year old male. I have never had any medical condition prior. I spent a very cold day outside and woke up the next day with a feel of dizzy (like I am drunk), queasy and tired. There is no pain, cough or discharge. When I move my head from side to side my balance gets impaired. I also have constant ringing in my left ear. It has been more than a week with no improvement. Please help.

#

Your problem seems to be due to inner ear infection leading to impairment of balance on head movements and ringing sensation in ear known as tinnitus.

You need ear examination and complete vestibular functions assessment and evaluation by an ENT (ear, nose and throat) specialist.

This is to sort out other differentials like Meniere's disease (inner ear disorder gives feeling of spinning), benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), low blood pressure, anxiety, many medications, migraine, overheating or dehydration, poor blood circulation.

Take Betahistine, an anti-vertigo and Benadryl for the relief after consultation with an ENT specialist.

Revert back after the tests to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

I have no access to an ENT specialist. I do have access to medication. How long should I expect this condition to last?

#

Since you do not have access to ENT specialist, I would suggest you some simple measures.

• Sip warm liquids and gargle Aspirin dissolved in hot water a few times.
  • The symptoms should decrease in a day or two and should get over within a week. Otherwise, you need to be examined by an ENT specialist.
  • For the time being, try and cut back on caffeine such as coffee, dark colored sodas, chocolate, etc., and salt (most in packaged foods) and make sure you are getting plenty of rest.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

I can walk fast but if I slow down I lose balance. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor,I am 70 years old, male. I was in good health, hiked, exercised, ate right. My weight is 175 lb and I am 5'9. A few months ago, I experienced intense vertigo and severe nausea. I was hospitalized for 15+ days where I was tested for meningitis (came back negative), tick born illnesses (n...  Read Full »

My tinnitus has worsened. What is my chance of recovery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion. I got tinnitus from loud noise three weeks ago. Most of the time the noise is constant 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. Yesterday morning I experienced my best day as the noise seemed to reduce to a 2. However, it went back up to a 3 and 4 again yesterd...  Read Full »

Tinnitus worsening mom's anxiety. What might help her?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is in a care home and is experiencing very loud tinnitus. She is becoming very stressed and anxious as this has been going on for months. We have asked her GP to help but it does not seem that anything can be done. She has had her ears cleared but this has not helped either. S...  Read Full »