Q. I get recurrent ear pain whenever I clean my ears with q-tips?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on May 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 15, 2020

Last February, I have had an ear infection from cleaning my left ear too often with a q tip. I went to the hospital and was prescribed Aplosyn otic drops, Celebrex, and an antibiotic which starts with a letter L (I forgot it as I lost the prescription. I am sorry). I took it for a week and went back to the doctor to have me flushed. He told me my eardrum was not perforated. All went well until two nights ago. I gently cleaned my left ear with a q tip after shower before going to sleep. I woke up the following morning with mild pain in my ear (maybe because I was sided left all throughout my sleep and have put so much pressure on it). Today I used a mirror to have a look at it. It looks like it has pus again and the moderate pain now is up to my left neck. What should I do? Please help.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I know how frustrating this problem can get.

You can follow the advice mentioned below.

1. Please stop using earbuds q-tips as they introduce infections into a sensitive region such as the ear.

2. If there is pus coming out of your ear, there is a possibility of you developing an ear infection that may or may not involve the eardrum.

3. Take tablet Amoxicillin 500 mg with Potassium Clavulanate 125 mg combination one tablet thrice times a day after food for one week. Along with this, you can also take a combination of Paracetamol, Phenylephrine, and Levocetirizine one tablet twice daily for one week.

4. Keep your ears closed with sterile cotton and change it every six hours.

5. Do not allow any water or air to enter into your ear as it can keep getting infected and pus or ear discharge will start once again.

6. In a case where if by chance there is perforation of the eardrum, it will close on its own once the discharge subsides.

Do not worry about it, you will be completely fine in a week's time.

| 

Shall I take Amoxicillin for cough?

Query: Hi doctor, Four weeks ago, I had a cold and chest infection. I self-treated with Amoxicillin and it was resolved. Now, I am getting cough with slight wheeze. Also, it is a productive cough with green sputum. Shall I try Amoxicillin again? I am regularly on Citalopram and Micronor.  Read Full »

I have ear pain with mild hearing loss and throat pain. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in my left ear with mild hearing loss. Sometimes I feel some sort of blocking sensation. Since two days, throat is also paining.  Read Full »

Does Azithromycin work the same as Amoxicillin Clavulanate tablet?

Query: Hello doctor, Does (Inozith-250) Azithromycin work the same as (Clavu-nova 625) Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium Tablet USP? I am using to treat a back/chest problem I had two years back which the doctor prescribed Inozith-250 for me. I used the same drug when I had a similar problem and I am ...  Read Full »