Q. I have pain and discharge in my ear and it hurts while moving my jaw. Please help.

Dr. Radhika Shukla

My ear is hurting and always wet when i clean it with cotton buds. I felt my ear is hurting specifically if i move my jaw also i feel it a bit swollen and has a water inside.

#

ear infection can be of the outer ear (otitis externa) or the middle ear (otitis media).

Otitis media involves having a ruptured ear drum. The best way to confirm if you have a ruptured eardrum or not is to put your drops in your ear and see if you can feel them in your throat. if you can taste the ear drops in your throat is almost confirmatory that you have a ruptured eardrum. I would like to know which antibiotic and ear drops are you using do that I could treat you better.. However, I advice you to continue the antibiotic resistance tablets and ear drops. For the pain you can start tablet Paracetamol 650 mg as and when you have pain. The swelling and ear discharge is becuase of the infection of the external or middle ear. Your ear is hurting specifically when you move your jaw becuase of a specific nerve (auriculotemporal nerve) which supplies both the external ear and the jaw. Infection of the external ear causes reffred pain to the jaw.

| 

Why the ear pain increased after using prescribed ear drops?

Query: Hello doctor,A few months back, I had ear pain and according to the doctor, I had a fungal infection and got my ear cleansed and prescribed some drops for my ear to be used. As I used those ear drops my ear pain got increased and it turned into a very severe pain that I start feeling that some fluid...  Read Full »

I have ear pain with mild hearing loss and throat pain. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in my left ear with mild hearing loss. Sometimes I feel some sort of blocking sensation. Since two days, throat is also paining.  Read Full »

I have ear clicking and discharge. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor,I hear a clicking sound in my ears since the last three to four months. When I put my fingers inside my ears, a brown sticky substance comes out. The clicking sound does not come on its own, but it comes when I focus on it too much, although I have no earache.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»