Q. Inserting an earbud resulted in a tear and ringing sound in my ear. What should I do?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
In my left ear a thin hole in the membrane because of the putting ear bud in the ear it has been teared now, i am getting a ringing sound in my ear. what shall i do stop the sound in my ear
#

Hi!

There is a high probability that you would have accidentally injured the ear drum while cleaning. This is a very common thing to happen and you don't have worry too much. The defect in the ear drum interferes with optimum sound transmission to the middle and inner ear and thereby you will have symptoms such as continuous ringing sensations, muffled sounds, echoing of your own voice or any loud sound, intolerance to high frequency sounds, decreased hearing etc.

Usually over 4 to 6 weeks this traumatic perforation heals and you will be completely fine. However, you shouldn't let it get infected as it can interfere with the healing process and if proper hygiene is not maintained the perforation might never close.

My advice for you would be to

1. Completely refrain using ear buds / q tips however intense the itching might get.
  2. Always consult to an ent before you apply any medication to the ear
  3. Place a sterile cotton in the outer ear and change it every 6 hours.
  4. Wear a shower cap while taking a head bath so that water doesn't enter inside.

There is no medication required here as such unless your having an infection associated with copius amount of discharge. I hope I have answered your query in detail. If there is anything you want to enquire, please do let us know, and I will revert back to you ASAP. Take care and have a wonderful day! Warm Regards!

|