HomeAnswersDentistryearly childhood cariesMy 4-year-old daughter has toothache with a change in the tooth color. Why?

How to treat an infected tooth in a 4-year-old?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Priyakhi Borkotoky

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At February 20, 2023
Reviewed AtJanuary 31, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

My daughter is a 4-year-old, and her tooth was paining and became different in color. We consulted with a dentist, and she said the tooth was infected by bacteria due to breast or bottled milk. Half of the tooth is decayed, and she has pain. Is there a need to fill some paste in it and put artificial teeth over it? Is it the only option? Kindly suggest.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

The condition your child is having is called early childhood caries. It is common in children between two and five years, where the upper front teeth are most commonly affected. However, extraction is advised if the child has a severe infection with inflammation and pus from the tooth. Ensure you maintain the child's oral hygiene with thorough rinsing after every meal, even after snacking with water. Mouth rinses like Kidodent (Sodium fluoride, Triclosan, and Xylitol) mouthwash will aid as well. Do not worry. Restoration of the infected tooth will help her troubles as it will aid in preventing the further spread of infection, which, if not controlled, may infect her permanent tooth. I hope this answers your query.

Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Priyakhi Borkotoky

Dr. Priyakhi Borkotoky


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy