Q. I had burning sensation and spotting after urination. Is that implantation bleeding?

Published on Nov 14, 2019

I woke up suddenly at 1'o clock in the night to urinate. I have a burning sensation after that. I woke up once an hour until about 5 am and having the same problem. There was only little urination, and the burning sensation started to decrease after each time I urinate. At around 4 am, I noticed light pink spotting on the toilet paper after the first wipe. It has occurred all day and at 6 pm the burning has almost completely disappeared. I am due for my period in seven days and I had unprotected sex eight and 13 days ago. A little concerned, I had UTI in the past and never had any spotting. I have googled, possible implantation bleeding, and took an EPT two days ago, and it turned out negative. I want a little more possible explanation.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

This can well be an implantation bleed considering you have had unprotected sex recently unless proven otherwise. The EPT (early pregnancy test) test is not sensitive enough during the cycle at all, and can only detect the hCG levels on the seventh day post missed period. The pregnancy can be rather confirmed with a blood serum beta hCG level, which if found to be raised indicates pregnancy.

If this test is negative and pregnancy is ruled out, then the spotting can be attributed to breakthrough bleeding due to lower levels of progesterone immediately after delayed ovulation as in this case possibly causing a small scanty withdrawal bleed. You need to furnish details about your LMP (last menstrual period) and regularity of cycles to comment further.

Does beta hCG of 2 indicate pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,I had my beta hCG done yesterday. It came as 2.00. I had sex recently. Eight months ago, when I had done the same test, my beta hCG was less than 0.1. Why this increase from 0.1 to 2? Is it because I can be pregnant and the hCG is increasing gradually? Or there are other reasons as well...  Read Full »

Can brownish discharge after protected sex be implantation bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I had protected sex. Two weeks later, I had light brownish to light red color discharge that lasted for a day and the next day there was light brownish discharge. Is this implantation bleeding? I am worried. If so, after how days of implantation bleeding can I do blood test or hCG to dete...  Read Full »

Is UTI contagious?

Query: Hi doctor, A few days ago I was diagnosed with UTI infection. I was put on antibiotics, and the ER doctor sent my urine for a culture. My doctor told me that Klebsiella pneumoniae is present in my urine culture and referred me to a specialist. What does it mean? I am 23 years old and sexually active...  Read Full »