Q. Can pregnancy occur outside uterus?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 21, 2021

My periods are regular in 28 days. I did not get my periods of this month, and there is a positive confirmation in beta hCG test, the level being 1600. But, there is no sac found in transvaginal ultrasound in 5 weeks 2 days. The doctor told that if it can be outside the uterus. But, I have no pain or bleeding.

#

• Whatever your doctor said is true. But there is no need to be afraid. Even when it is an ectopic pregnancy, it can be managed efficiently with medicines or laparoscopy in the modern era.
  • An ectopic pregnancy will not cause pain, bleeding, etc., unless it is about to rupture.
  • The second possibility is that of late ovulation with multiple pregnancies. Pregnancy, in that case, will be seen late on ultrasound. You can just repeat beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) after 48 hours to know about status and doctor will decide accordingly.
  • The only caution is that if it turns out to be an ectopic pregnancy, just follow your doctor's advice.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|