Q. Are emollient effective in curing eczema?

Dr. Abdel Hakam Soliman
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran
This is a premium question & answer published on May 01, 2021 and last reviewed on: May 08, 2021

Can I stop using Candid B, Acuvir, and Emollient shower? Can I have Desloratadine? I am able to have Betnovate C and Duricef 500.

#

I do not think it is a viral or fungal infection. It seems like infected eczema. I suggest you follow the treatment. You can take tablet Duricef 500 mg (Cefadroxil) orally once every 8 hours. You can use Betnovate C cream (Betamethasone with Clioquinol) topically three times daily. Take Desloratidine orally once daily. Take this course for a week. It has to be followed by an emollient. Take shower before bedtime and do not leave soap residue here. Stay safe. Desloratadine is an active ingredient present in many formulations such as Aerious or Clarinex. You can stop using other creams. Kindly send a photo in follow-up after a week.

You have helped me.

#

You are welcome and have a follow-up at any time.

I am unable to have Duricef. Can I have an alternative tablet? I am willing to use soap-free caustic-free bath liquid with a pH of 5.5. Is it good?

#

Yes, you can start. Using Dove soap is fine.

Do you need further information from me?

#

Kindly continue using emollient several times daily and take antihistamine tablet for two weeks. Kindly send a photo next time. Try to do a urine analysis.

Can I stop using Betnovate cream? I am using emollient for washing. I am cautious as my penis head is fresh after healing. Do I need to do urine analysis?

#

You can continue using Betnovate-C for a week. After that, try to stop using it as it is a corticosteroid. Do urine analysis to rule out the cause.

Thank you for helping me.

#

You are most welcome.

I have reduced using Betnovate. After washing, the area appears healed. I am focusing on washing. Do I need any other cream?

#

Kindly send a recent photo of the affected region. You can use Tacrolimus cream topically once daily at bedtime for two weeks. Try to have showering once daily before applying the cream. Have a follow-up after two weeks.

I have attached a photo.

#

It seems to be fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I have attached an image today.

#

Your image is not clear.

I have attached the photo again.

#

It looks fine.

I have sent an image.

#

Please continue for another two weeks.

I have used Tacrolimus 0.3 for two weeks. I am taking only emollient wash for two days. I am feeling fine mostly. Even my urinary tract has become normal. But there is a bit of dryness in the recovered area. It remains healthy with a normal texture. I have sent some photos which were taken today morning after wash. I will continue using Tacrolimus as my wife uses it for psoriasis in the calf. She also uses Calendula and Evit. Please advise.

#

Yes, you can apply emollients during the daytime and use Tacrolimus at night. Take a shower before bedtime with Dove soap. Please do not leave any soap residue on your skin. Get your skin dried by patting with a soft towel. Do not scratch or squeeze that area and please do not apply any other ointments here. The cotton underwear should be washed thoroughly. Stay safe and have a good day.

I will continue having an emollient wash. I do not use any emollient cream. If I should use emollient cream, then please suggest. Plain coconut oil is available easily. Can I use Calendula or Boroline? Generally, it remains in better shape than that is present before three weeks.

#

Cutemol or Aveeno Dermexa emollient creams are also good emollients.

|