Q. I am pregnant and diagnosed with bronchial asthma. Will asthma medicines affect the fetus?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

I am 6 months pregnant now. Before pregnancy, I have been suffering through allergic rhinitis (sneezing and dry coughing). But as my pregnancy started, I got a cough with white phlegm. I wanted to avoid medicines during the first three months of pregnancy but due to late night coughing and phlegm I went to see a gynecologist. At first, she tried to control my cough through a mild cough syrup with ivy leaves but cough does not go away.

Then my gynecologist asked me to visit a pulmonologist after a detailed checkup I was diagnosed with bronchial asthma. He advised me to take Budesonide with Formoterol dry powder inhaler and Montelukast sodium. I am feeling better nowadays. I do not have a cough now. I do visit my gynecologist for a monthly checkup and she knows that I am taking dry powder inhaler for bronchial asthma. This month my gynecologist advised me to take Rejuva tablet that contains vitamin D and K, it is a kind of nutritional supplement for bone health and Fiore-f tablet for iron deficiency. My Hb is 9 nowadays.

My question is: Is it safe to take iron tablets and nutritional supplements while taking bronchial asthma medicine? I am afraid that may be due to iron I will get cough again. Secondly, I am extremely worried due to the reason of diagnosing bronchial asthma in pregnancy. I am taking medicine for asthma and I have heard it affect the unborn baby in terms of low birth weight. But my asthma is under control due to this medicine and I am feeling much better nowadays. I visit my gynecologist monthly for baby growth and she says it is perfectly fine.

Note: I cannot take dairy products, citrus fruits, and rice because I got cough and throat irritation due to bronchial asthma.

#

You should continue bronchial asthma medicines. As it is required to control your symptoms and to make you healthy. If you do not take it then the effect on baby can be worse than while you are taking. As baby growth is fine do not worry about it.

Iron and calcium are also minimum requirements during pregnancy and if you do not take it and your Hb is down during delivery then it can be very dangerous if you bleed more. So it is required during pregnancy. And, mostly it will not have any effect on bronchial asthma.

|