Q. What is the reason for the recurrent rise in bilirubin, SGPT, and SGOT levels every six months?

Dr. Sugreev Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

For some time, my digestive system is not so good. I feel swelling near my stomach area. I did the LFT test, bilirubin - 1.4, SGOT - 71, SGPT - 115 , alkaline phosphatase- 205 , triglycerides- 171 and ESR- 16 in range of 0-9, and my platelets 1.25. I feel like vomiting all the time. Sometimes I vomit, am heavy in the chest, feel little pain in the stomach, and sometimes feel swelling in the stomach. I have a liver problem every six months. I am HIV positive. I had the same problem one year ago and got cured with medication.

#

I have gone through your reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), and ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) is fine, but your liver enzymes are elevated. Elevated bilirubin and SGPT (serum glutamic-pyruvic transaminase) and SGOT (serum glutamic-oxalacetic transaminase) indicate that you have liver infections currently, so mostly due to that infection only you are experiencing indigestion and pain in the abdomen and swelling as well.

I would suggest you do an ultrasound examination of the abdomen once to check the size of the liver and to check if there is any block in the liver pathway. It will help to diagnose.

For now, I suggest you take:

1) Syrup Hepamerz 5 ml (L-Ornithine L-Aspartate and Pancreatin) once a day after meal for ten days.

2) Tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg once a day before meals for seven days.

Please tell me do you have jaundice-like symptoms such as yellow color skin, sclera (white part of the eye)?

Avoid alcohol and smoking if you are used to it.

I hope this was helpful.

|