Q. Why are my AST, ALT, and MPV levels high?

Dr. J N Naidu

I am 56 years old. My height is 5 feet 4 inches, and my weight is 160 lbs. I am getting an ultrasound scan for my liver. My AST is 54 IU/L, and my ALT is 99 IU/L. Is this common? I am currently taking Vitamin D tablets. Previously I took Prednisone only for one week for the left shoulder and arm, Hydrocodone with Acetaminophen, Baclofen only three doses, but I am not taking any of them now. Please help.

#

I sugggest you some more tests which will be helpful for conclusion.

1. Hb (hemoglobin), CBC (complete blood count), and CRP (c-reactive protein).
  2. TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone).
  3. Urine for albumin and pus cells.

Please send test results so that the problem can be adequately evaluated.

Thanks for the reply.

I have already done the tests, and all the values are within the normal range. So please help me with my AST and ALT levels.

#

The most common cause for ALT (alanine aminotransferase), AST (aspartate aminotransferase) elevation is hepatocellular injury due to viral hepatitis or chemical toxicity where there is 20 to 50 fold elevation or even more. Mild elevation, as seen in your case, may be due to alcohol consumption. Many medications like cholesterol-lowering drugs, antituberculous drugs, NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), including Aspirin, can cause elevations. The use of traditional or complementary therapies can also cause elevation. Diseases like polymyositis, hypothyroidism can cause mild elevations. As the enzyme elevations are favorable, there is no jaundice or severe liver pathology is unlikely. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention that I did receive the COVID-19 vaccine a week before the blood test. Could that also be a factor for the rise in the levels? Please comment.

#

The vaccine is unlikely to cause elevation. Even in liver diseases, vaccination is advised. It appears that it may be due to shoulder pain and the use of medications. Understand that the use of even Acetaminophen in high doses can elevate liver enzymes. I hope this helps. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

My MPV level is high. It is 13.7 fL. How concerning is this? Please comment your thoughts.

#

Platelets are cells that help in the clotting process. The standard MPV (mean platelet volume) range is 8 fL to 12 fL. Slightly higher MPV indicates possibly mild anemia. Its increase occurs even in mild exercise, high altitudes, and many other conditions. MPV value alone may not give much information. It has to be interpreted if there are changes in other tests. This change alone does not appear to be a cause of concern. I hope that helped you.

Thanks for the reply.

But I have a fear of cancer. Does my blood work indicate any cancer?

#

Please do not be afraid. Your fear is without any scientific basis. Some variations in the blood test are more common in many individuals. We can evaluate further after verifying the ultrasound scan results of the abdomen. Thanks.

|