Q. I got a handjob in a parlor, and my VDRL and ELISA test are negative. Should I worry about HIV?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

I had visited a massage parlor one and a half years ago. The session ends with a handjob. The lady was fully clothed, and after hand, she gave me a handjob with oil in her hands to body massage. There was no other sexual activity apart from hand to penis stimulation. I was unable to check if she had any cuts on her hands. Later due to worries, I did ELISA third-generation antibody after four weeks, and 12 weeks, all are came negative. Also did VDRL, hepatitis B and C at four weeks and 12 weeks, which also came as negative. After the 16th month of last exposure, I also did a CLIA HIV antibody test (test method immunochromatographic), which also came negative. Now I have leg muscle aches for one month. I came to know about a couple of cases from the internet where antibody test fails to detect HIV for two years. I am very much worried. Please help. Is my negative results are 100 percent conclusive?

#

It seems that your risk is unwarranted in this scenario as there was no exchange of body fluids. HIV can only be transmitted through active sexual contact with HIV infected persons or blood transfusions, or with the exchange of contaminated syringes or needles. I could not see any such scenario in the exposure details which you mentioned.

Your HIV negative tests on both occasions (as expected) is another assuring point in your case. It is great that your other STIs (sexually transmitted infections) tests are also negative. Long incubation period, which you are worried about, is valid in only those in prolonged high-dose immunosuppressive therapy, not in the scenario you mentioned. You can surely relax and move forward. I could not see any worrisome situation in your description.

If this was the only exposure, and there is no further exposure, your tests are reliable. Leg pains could have varied reasons. Get Vitamin D3 and B12 levels, fasting blood sugar, HbA1c, and thyroid profile.

Revert with reports.

|