Q. My 11 year old daughter has congenitally elongated tailbone. Will it affect her as she grows?

Dr. Atul Prakash

Hi doctor,

My 11 year old daughter, who weighs 35 kg and is 4.10 feet tall, is suffering from pain in the tailbone. The x-ray revealed that it is a congenital elongated tailbone. The report read, coccyx shows longitudinal clefting, which appears to be congenital variation. She has been advised to sit on soft surfaces, with a pillow, since sitting on hard surfaces seems to aggravate the pain. She has to be careful about her sitting posture all the time since sitting in the wrong posture triggers the pain. I needed to know if this pain will reduce with age since she is a growing child? Or can it further increase and cause problems later? Also, can any exercise or surgery solve the problem?

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health

I wish you had included the x-ray with the detailed description.

• The symptoms will depend on the size of the coccyx. As the child grows, the pelvis may grow at a faster rate and the coccyx may become less prominent.
  • So, I will delay the surgery till the child attains skeletal maturity, which may be 20 years or more as the pelvis keeps growing much longer.
  • Kegel pelvic floor exercises, sitz baths, and cut out seats will help. 

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

How to get rid of vaginal odor?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old and I have been diagnosed with PCOS. I have a drooping bladder and I cannot take this smell. My vagina stays dry and sex is painful and hurting. I have the sex drive of an 80-year-old instead of a person in their 20’s. Also, my husband’s semen interferes ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Gowrimeena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like you are struggling with a lot of medical conditions. But the good news is that all of these are easily treatable. Do not worry. PCOS is treated depending on the symptoms. If you are overweight you need to stick to a diet plan, exercise and manage stress...  Read Full

Why do I have vaginal tears after sex?

Query: Hello doctor, I had rough sex recently and it caused a tear in my vagina. When I use a mirror to examine myself I can see some of the cuts. It is near the entrance of my vaginal canal but not inside, positioned more towards my perineum. It has been healing for two days now and still really hurts. I...  Read Full >>

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Small superficial tears generally heal fast. Continue taking sitz bath with Betadine drops, Ibuprofen for pain but instead of Vaseline, apply some antiseptic ointment. Vaseline prevents raw ends to meet. Medical support is required, only if you develop pus, odor, discha...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now