Q. I have a phobia of vomiting. What can be done to prevent vomiting due to general anesthesia?

Dr. Yatish Anant Jadhav
This is a premium question & answer published on May 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 01, 2021

I am a 50-year-old female who would like to have a breast reduction. However, I am at high risk for vomiting from the anesthesia as I have a phobia of vomiting, and I am susceptible to motion sickness. I am a non-smoker. I had general anesthesia once before, and I vomited several times. I am so scared that I have rescheduled the surgery three times. Is there anything else that can be used instead of general anesthesia? What can be done to prevent vomiting? Currently, I am on medication for Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Compounding cream for menopause.

#

General anesthesia has known post aesthesia effects of nausea, retching, vomiting, etc. Also, these may be due to the direct effect of surgery and pain. You seem to be very sensitive and anxious about it. But usually, it is seen that with each subsequent episode of administration of general anesthesia, these effects tend to decrease in severity. If last time you had vomiting post-anesthesia, it will be less severe in terms of the number of episodes, reducing your discomfort if you may have a preexisting gastroduodenal ulcer, gastritis. So I would advise you to discuss issues with your anesthesiologist and surgeon. Nausea, vomiting can be taken care of by medicines like proton pump inhibitors, antiemetics which will be given by your physician in recommended doses. Take a light, non-oily meal on the day before surgery so that stomach stays relatively acid-free.

|